Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Best buy issues

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Best buy issues

So I applied on the 15th of this month no instant approval got letter yesterday reason to many inquiries. Fine I tried for reconsideration. Talked to very nice lady or so I thought. Gave her all the info she wanted. She said it was income to debt ratio and asked me why I tried for cc when I made 793 dollars a year. I was like no I don't. She stated that's what's on the app. Fixed that put me on hold said congratulations your approved needed me to verify my information through text message. Gave her my number said machine was down.

I go OK she then said I could go to best buy with government photo ID and a credit card that was at least a month old. As well as the letter. Best buy is hour drive away I do shop there a lot. So I figured why not so I get there and told customer service what lady said. He was like not a problem sir. Called up cc company to verify me. Boom denied I told them everything lady said he was like no the to many inquiry can't be overrides. I asked for supervisor and he said same thing now I'm hot. He was like I can only apologize for the misunderstanding I was no misunderstanding I was told I was approved. He hangs up on me. Mind you I didn't get rude or swear I was forceful but polite.

So this morning I called best buy EO she was really sorry this happen to me. She's doing full investigation. So then my wife that is a citi card member called and told them what happened. Said she was thinking of closing her accounts. Mind you she called Citi EO not best buy EO. We run about 3000 a week through the shell card mainly me because I drive semi. Anyways they ate also launching an investigation. Said they should get back with her today or tomorrow at the latest.

My EO said 3 to 5 business days.

Sorry this was typed on my phone so if it's messed up sorry.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Best buy issues

Dang sorry to hear about that mess, I would be pretty pissed too. Hope you get it resolved in your favor.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Me to I'm waiting on regional manager to call me as well now
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am waiting eagerly as well. You and your wife rock for getting both EOs involved!  I would be pissed too if I drive an hour and got that BS.  Standing by for what happens. Fingers crossed!

Message 4 of 11
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Sounds like its time to look at an Amazon Prime card.  Free 2 day shipping saves alot on gas.

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear.  I'm sort of going through something similar with the Thank You Preferred.  But I had fraud on both of my other Citi cards.  Still a big mess like you're going through!  Hope all gets straightened out and you get your card. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 11
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

That stinks, sorry.

Creditcuriousity (member here), had the same thing happen to him..Im sure he will chime in here later.
Message 7 of 11
RonM21
Valued Contributor

That is crazy. After that drive, I would have been even more upset.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup so far been offered 5 dollar gift card to best buy from store regional manager I laughed said no still waiting on cities to get back to me
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok they finally called me and wife both today.  Best Buy Executive called me.  They told me basiclly I was SOL.   The Regular Executive called wife and said how sorry they was.  Then they proceeded to call me while I was sitting in line to get unloaded.  Asked for full details of Everything.  I proceeded to tell them everything.  Told them that Best Buy executive called me today aswell told her what they said.  The nice lady then decided to get Best Buy Executive on the line.  I gave he the guys name and everything I actually wrote down the whole conversation.  Was on hold for about 20 min Lady from CIti came back with the guy i talked to perviously.  Tried to lie his way out of it basically telling me I was SOL.  Lady from Citi basically put her foot up where the son dont shine on the guy.  Told me that on behalf of Citi they are so very sorry they cannot still approve me. 

Here where it gets interesting...

She proceeded to tell me that they was increasing the SL on wifes Shell Card and Turning it into non-store card actual Credit Card.  Going from 600 Dollar spending limit to 6000.  Then told me they was sending me 3- 100 Dollar Gift cards to Shell.  She also stated that she sees we pay alot on it never carry a balance over 2 Dollars a month.  We have earned alot of shell rewards on the card.  Then guy popped up and offered me 1 free year of Geeksquad service.  I said sorry but I build my own computers and dont need geeksquad services.  He paused and said how does 2-100 Dollar gift cards to best buy sound.  I accepted.  They are over nighting all this to me.  I will believe it when I see it.  But the Shell card does have SL of 6000 now.  So its looking good so far. 

EDIT:  When they called me Citi Executive they did it 3 way with me and the Wife on the line.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.