cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Invitation to apply - a pre approval ?

tag
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

Citi Invitation to apply - a pre approval ?

I received..for the FIRST TIME, a mailer from Citi, it reads :

CITIAAMILEUP.jpg

Is this a pre-approval ?  What does CITI like and dislike ?

Thank you all in advance.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Citi Invitation to apply - a pre approval ?

Looks like marketing. Citi doesnt like alot recent inquiries for sure.
Message 2 of 16
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

...define recent....

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Looks like marketing. Citi doesnt like alot recent inquiries for sure.

Message 3 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Its a crap shoot really. I had 10 new accounts within the 6 months of the last app and approval with Citi. But I already had 1 account with them, with 3 or more years of payment history.

They're pushing the AA cards pretty hard. Not sure of your stats, but from what I've experienced. Obtaining the cobranded cards were pretty easy.

If you don't have any Citi accounts. Expect a EX and EQ pull. Since becoming a current customer. I get either one HP on EQ or one on EX depending on the CC I app for.

Message 4 of 16
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

I have applied for this exact same card 116 days ago and they did hard pull Equifax and Experian....and they have declined me.

Thoughts ?

@Gmood1 wrote:

Its a crap shoot really. I had 10 new accounts within the 6 months of the last app and approval with Citi. But I already had 1 account with them, with 3 or more years of payment history.

They're pushing the AA cards pretty hard. Not sure of your stats, but from what I've experienced. Obtaining the cobranded cards were pretty easy.

If you don't have any Citi accounts. Expect a EX and EQ pull. Since becoming a current customer. I get either one HP on EQ or one on EX depending on the CC I app for.

Message 5 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

What was the reason? I'm guessing the number of new accounts? Have you considered the Business AA card? They were offering 70,000 miles on the SUB a month or so ago. 

Message 6 of 16
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

What was the reason? I'm guessing the number of new accounts? Have you considered the Business AA card? They were offering 70,000 miles on the SUB a month or so ago. 

Business AA Card...what are the approval odds on those.....

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received the same mailer....it’s marketing. 

OP, I would wait 6 months without any new apps or new accounts before trying with Citi again. You’ve open quite a few AMEX accounts recently. While Gmood, has had success, he also has a very thick file. 

Message 8 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@PointsBonus wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

Business AA Card...what are the approval odds on those.....

I'd say better than the basic AA card, since it has an AF after the first year. That's the last Citi card I obtained after all those new accounts last year. Just met the spend bonus on it yesterday. Right now, AA's giving some discount flights to european countries!

Again, it does depend on your stats.

Message 9 of 16
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I received the same mailer....it’s marketing. 

OP, I would wait 6 months without any new apps or new accounts before trying with Citi again. You’ve open quite a few AMEX accounts recently. While Gmood, has had success, he also has a very thick file. 

Thats what i was thinking. Thank You !!

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.