cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Premier card

tag
Creditcurious74
Frequent Contributor

Citi Premier card

Hi guys, I would like to get some advice here. My bk13 was just discharged this month and have 4 open revolving accounts in good standing. My wife just add me as an AU on one of her 3 yr old credit cards which still waiting for activation. Should I wait until my wife's account hit my credit profile on the three bureaus and apply? or do you think Citi or lenders will not consider that? Thanks in advance for any helpful information. 

 

Forgot to mention currently my fico 8 is 626

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Rogue46
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Premier card

Citi tends to be one of the more conservative issuers I highly doubt they would consider you that close to bk and credit score. They wouldn't touch me until several years went by and my scores were in the 700s

 

You might have better success with Capone or Discover





Message 2 of 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi Premier card

I would hold off till your scores are likely in the 700's as that card is likely their hardest to get due to high bonus among other things.  Alot of people in the 800's get shot down for that card.  Goes beyond scores with Citi and particularly that card in my humble opinion and alot of things to be considered.  

Message 3 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Premier card

I'd hold off altogether until scores improve substantially, as mentioned above. Also, AU account wouldn't help much, if any.


Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:




Current FICO 8 scores:


Message 4 of 9
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Premier card

Quite honestly with that score and BK recency you might want to go for Credit One if you feel a need to get into the cash back game ASAP.

 

Credit One Wander: $95 AF

 

5x Dining

5x Gas

10x Hotel/Rental Car booked through credit one rewards center.

 

I guess you can apply the points toward travel or take the statement credit. But if the goal is decent rewards for the time being until your score reaches an attractive level for a high tier card this might be a workable solution.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 5 of 9
LADave
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Premier card


@Citylights18 wrote:

Quite honestly with that score and BK recency you might want to go for Credit One if you feel a need to get into the cash back game ASAP.

 

Credit One Wander: $95 AF

 

5x Dining

5x Gas

10x Hotel/Rental Car booked through credit one rewards center.

 

I guess you can apply the points toward travel or take the statement credit. But if the goal is decent rewards for the time being until your score reaches an attractive level for a high tier card this might be a workable solution.


OP would need to spend $1900 a year on the card in 5X categories to break even on the $95 AF, which isn't actually horrible as long as the Wander is the best card in their wallet for those categories. 

 

After they get some better cards, the enhanced earnings aren't as attractive, and they'd be dealing with Credit One. All of the DPs I've seen indicate that they never allow PCs on cards with annual fees.

 

(I have no idea how good their rewards center is for 10X on travel, but if it's like everything else that Credit One does then it's probably not worth it.)

 

My preference would be to go for a Discover It for rebuilding credit. The OP might qualify for a no-deposit card after their AU cards hit their report. It could really pay for the OP to wait and see what effect those AU cards have on their FICOs.

Message 6 of 9
Creditcurious74
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi Premier card

Thanks, guys for your comments and suggestion. I will hold off until the end of the year and see what happens. I do have a Sony visa cc thru comenity with a 2700 CL for 10 months which should help me establish my credit report. 

Message 7 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Citi Premier card


@Creditcurious74 wrote:

Hi guys, I would like to get some advice here. My bk13 was just discharged this month and have 4 open revolving accounts in good standing. My wife just add me as an AU on one of her 3 yr old credit cards which still waiting for activation. Should I wait until my wife's account hit my credit profile on the three bureaus and apply? or do you think Citi or lenders will not consider that? Thanks in advance for any helpful information. 

 

Forgot to mention currently my fico 8 is 626


A Citi Premier card is a tough card to get. I don't think you'll be approved at this stage.


Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 8 of 9
LADave
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Premier card


@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Creditcurious74 wrote:

Hi guys, I would like to get some advice here. My bk13 was just discharged this month and have 4 open revolving accounts in good standing. My wife just add me as an AU on one of her 3 yr old credit cards which still waiting for activation. Should I wait until my wife's account hit my credit profile on the three bureaus and apply? or do you think Citi or lenders will not consider that? Thanks in advance for any helpful information. 

 

Forgot to mention currently my fico 8 is 626


A Citi Premier card is a tough card to get. I don't think you'll be approved at this stage.


I can attest to this. I was denied a Premier card four months ago with a better score/report than the OP's - and I was doing the application more for "science" than anything else.

YOLO Citi Premier application denied - myFICO® Forums - 6594288

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.