Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige Denial Strange Reasons

tag
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Prestige Denial Strange Reasons

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Ya kinda strange unless this is your first citi card?  Never been denied a citi card once i was in with them and have had many with tons of new accounts always in the 20-30 range in two years... Profile, DTI, income, etc all play a role certainly along with relationship to get past the too many acounts in x time frame reason which alot of us can get by.  Sorry for the denial :/

Thanks @CreditCuriosity  I have (2) Citi cards DC & Simplicity also like you Macy's @ $20k total exposure around $50k between the (3) I like to have a few cards reporting some balances to show usage and the ability to pay back. I don't deny the reasons for denial where legit, it's just you know it comes down to being profile specific a around these parts. 

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 11 of 18
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Update on the actual denial letter for exact reasons:

Thank you for your interest in the Citi Prestige® account. We're unable to approve your application.
We used a credit scoring system in our review, which assigns a numerical value to different items on your credit report. The resulting score wasn't high enough to approve this account.

During our review, we saw the following:

1.Your credit report shows the length of time accounts have been established.

2.Your credit report shows too many recently opened accounts.

3.Your credit report shows the length of time accounts have been established.

Please note our decision was based in whole or in part on information in a report from

#1) & #3) is basically the same reason. Call it BS 🤔

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 12 of 18
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I really don't think the reasons are strange at all, pretty typical honestly. You win some you lose some. I'd just let the accounts age and try again later. Citi for some reason is very generous with some and overlooks many new accounts/inquiries, but with others, they are much less lenient. Recon is typically not that helpful with them. Most of the recons I've seen have been to recon starting limits, not really to overturn an outright denial. Even then, it's not really a true "recon" as they take another hard pull and basically consider you for a credit increase, not really reconsidering their initial decision per se. I'm sure it has happened, but it's not super common.

Message 13 of 18
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I really don't think the reasons are strange at all, pretty typical honestly. You win some you lose some. I'd just let the accounts age and try again later. Citi for some reason is very generous with some and overlooks many new accounts/inquiries, but with others, they are much less lenient. Recon is typically not that helpful with them. Most of the recons I've seen have been to recon starting limits, not really to overturn an outright denial. Even then, it's not really a true "recon" as they take another hard pull and basically consider you for a credit increase, not really reconsidering their initial decision per se. I'm sure it has happened, but it's not super common.

@kdm31091  Thanks for your valuable insight. I even tried again to(recon) this morning to no avail. I will just chalk it up as a loss and move on. EO recon will probably yield the same result with a hp to boot.

Message 14 of 18
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

OP, I think you've done all you can at this point. Who knows the real reason. It could be the new accounts...it could be that you've reached your internal limit with them at the moment, and it could be the tightening of approvals due to the current economic state.

You gave it your best and just know that the Prestige card isn't going away anytime soon so you'll have another opportunity later I'm sure.
Message 15 of 18
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@Loquat wrote:
OP, I think you've done all you can at this point. Who knows the real reason. It could be the new accounts...it could be that you've reached your internal limit with them at the moment, and it could be the tightening of approvals due to the current economic state.

You gave it your best and just know that the Prestige card isn't going away anytime soon so you'll have another opportunity later I'm sure.

Great read @Loquat Much appreciated! 😉

Message 16 of 18
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Sorry Bruised for the denial

Personally, I think you should put Citi on hold til Jan. 

Just my 2 FICOs worth

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 17 of 18
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@Meanmchine wrote:

Sorry Bruised for the denial

Personally, I think you should put Citi on hold til Jan. 

Just my 2 FICOs worth

Thanks @Meanmchine  No biggie as my travel plans are on hold if not most of us by the current situation. I will get this card down the road! 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.