Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi is VERY generous ... on certain cards

tag
The_Rooster
Contributor

Citi is VERY generous ... on certain cards

It's odd, my wife has a Citi Simplicity card that REFUSES to go above $1,100 credit limit. There must be 50 declined CLI requests over the years.

However, our Citi Home Depot card? CLI's whenever we choose!

I've been adding $1,500 to $3,000 CLI's to that card every 3-6 months for the past two years and added another $5,000 CLI today. I dont ever remember getting a declined CLI on that card. I'm starting to wonder how high they're going to let it go LOL!

So here is my question: Is the underwriting guidelines for the Home Depot card different than the Simplicity and other Citi Cards?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi is VERY generous ... on certain cards

The UW is very different between Citi legacy and Citi Retail CCs. Results can definitely vary depending on the profile, of course. Another item to keep in mind, Citi legacy CLIs can typically be SP (when eligible) vs Home Depot which would end up as HPs.

You mentioned ~50 declined CLI requests over the years, what are the reasons being cited for each of those?

Message 2 of 24
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@The_Rooster wrote:

It's odd, my wife has a Citi Simplicity card that REFUSES to go above $1,100 credit limit. There must be 50 declined CLI requests over the years.

I've been adding $1,500 to $3,000 CLI's to that card every 3-6 months for the past two years and added another $5,000 CLI today. I dont ever remember getting a declined CLI on that card. I'm starting to wonder how high they're going to let it go LOL!

So here is my question: Is the underwriting guidelines for the Home Depot card different than the Simplicity and other Citi Cards?

I read recently that another MF member stated they were getting HPs for their Citi-Costco CLI requests. I am assuming you are not getting HPs for these?

Potential Future Cards
Message 3 of 24
The_Rooster
Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

The UW is very different between Citi legacy and Citi Retail CCs. Results can definitely vary depending on the profile, of course. Another item to keep in mind, Citi legacy CLIs can typically be SP (when eligible) vs Home Depot which would end up as HPs.

You mentioned ~50 declined CLI requests over the years, what are the reasons being cited for each of those?

All of the Home Depot CLI's are soft pulls as well. 

The website usually says something like "We are sorry, we can not grant your request". I can list the exact reasons once we get our next decline letter in a few days. At this point Im usually just shredding them before I open them.

Message 4 of 24
The_Rooster
Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

@The_Rooster wrote:

I read recently that another MF member stated they were getting HPs for their Citi-Costco CLI requests. I am assuming you are not getting HPs for these?

Nope. No hard pulls on these. At least none that MyFico are showing.

Message 5 of 24
lgtwriter
Frequent Contributor

I was approved for a Citi Costco card in August and they gave me a very small credit limit, $1,200 which was way way less than all of my other credit cards. I tried for a cli a couple of times, but decided to close the card because it was not very useful to me with that cl.

The same day or next day (I can't remember exactly) I applied for the Citi Simplicity card and was given a $14,600 credit line. Same datapoints. I had paid off a bit of utilization in the several months since I opened the Costco card, but there was no way that there were any changes in my profile to cause a difference of over ten times the credit limit.

Citi is weird, at least in my situation. YMMV of course.

Message 6 of 24
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

The easier underwriting criteria on a store card versus a major credit card that can be used just about everywhere comes down to the amount of risk involved.

You can do a lot more damage with a major card from a risk factor than one can with a store card. Having a $20k on a Citi Simplicity is a lot different than $20k on a Home Depot card.
Message 7 of 24
FinanceGuy205
Established Member

@Loquat wrote:
The easier underwriting criteria on a store card versus a major credit card that can be used just about everywhere comes down to the amount of risk involved.

You can do a lot more damage with a major card from a risk factor than one can with a store card. Having a $20k on a Citi Simplicity is a lot different than $20k on a Home Depot card.

Maybe that is their logic, but it certainly doesn't apply for us. We will max out (and pay off) this Home Depot card quite often. We are constantly doing home projects.

In fact that card is already up to $9k on it now.

Message 8 of 24
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

@lgtwriter wrote:

I was approved for a Citi Costco card in August and they gave me a very small credit limit, $1,200 which was way way less than all of my other credit cards. I tried for a cli a couple of times, but decided to close the card because it was not very useful to me with that cl.

The same day or next day (I can't remember exactly) I applied for the Citi Simplicity card and was given a $14,600 credit line. Same datapoints. I had paid off a bit of utilization in the several months since I opened the Costco card, but there was no way that there were any changes in my profile to cause a difference of over ten times the credit limit.

Citi is weird, at least in my situation. YMMV of course.

All big banks are like that. If they start you off low even though you have great credit scores you are better off closing the account. Two very important things are communicated that way. You are not desperate for their card and most important you are not willing to play by their rules if the rewards don't outweigh their ridiculous limits. Can't wait to have my wife close the Freedom Flex card right after we cash in her latest points. $1600 limit with a 784 score pulled and 6 digit income is nothing but insulting and we won't stand for it. 

Message 9 of 24
lgtwriter
Frequent Contributor

@Crowhelm That is why I closed the citi costco card. It was ridiculous. I had ficos in the mid 750s and an income of over 190k when I applied (they are in the 770s now) and there was no way I should have been given a credit limit of $1,200.

Citi simplicity gave me a credit limit that made sense and I have a year of 0% apr as well. 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.