cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank Denial and Recon Failure

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Established Contributor

Citibank Denial and Recon Failure

I was denied for the Double Cash due to too many recent inquiries. My recent inquiries number: 3 in 1 day from EQ (app spree). Here's the kicker though. 2 of them were from PenFed who pulled my report twice in 1 day (no clue why they didn't use the report they already had) and the 3rd was from Citibank. I called in to recon and was told I need to call Equifax and have the inquiries removed then call them back to pull a new report. I declined to go through all of that for this card. Oh well, Citi. I'll stick with my Costco Card.

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Senior Contributor

Re: Citibank Denial and Recon Failure

You should still get those hp's removed even though you don't want to fool with re-app on Citi.  I was able to have 2 of 3 amex pulls (one card) removed.  Gained 5 pts. back (I think....can't find any other changes)

Don't forget you can pull your report from annualcreditreport.com due to denial. (you may know that-just a friendly reminder)

 

"MY TAKE HOME PAY DON'T TAKE ME HOME"
Message 2 of 16
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Citibank Denial and Recon Failure

Penfed will do multiple pulls if applying for multiple products.
If they were not erroneous HPs, they wont be removed.
Also, when it comes to HP removal, CRAs cannot and won't do anything.
Removal or re coding to SP has to come from the lender itself.
Making that call to them can occasionally result in fraud alert being placed if you claim those HPs were not authorized by you.
Message 3 of 16
Senior Contributor

Re: Citibank Denial and Recon Failure


@Remedios wrote:

Also, when it comes to HP removal, CRAs cannot and won't do anything.


Why do you say that?  Last week Experian removed 2 of 3 of my hp's.  

"MY TAKE HOME PAY DON'T TAKE ME HOME"
Message 4 of 16
Established Contributor

Re: Citibank Denial and Recon Failure

Inquiry removal is very YMMV. I had dozens removed in a dispute with no alert and I'd have a CRA refuse to remove 1 on a phone call. It's very YMMV and depends on the agent you get.

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 5 of 16
Senior Contributor

Re: Citibank Denial and Recon Failure


@lindsaydruart wrote:

I was denied for the Double Cash due to too many recent inquiries. My recent inquiries number: 3 in 1 day from EQ (app spree). Here's the kicker though. 2 of them were from PenFed who pulled my report twice in 1 day (no clue why they didn't use the report they already had) and the 3rd was from Citibank. I called in to recon and was told I need to call Equifax and have the inquiries removed then call them back to pull a new report. I declined to go through all of that for this card. Oh well, Citi. I'll stick with my Costco Card.



Did you get a letter from Citi stating the exact reasons for their denial?

 

How many inquiries are on each of your credit reports for the last 12 months? What are your current credit scores for each bureau?

 

I doubt the denial is only because of 3 inquiries (even if they occurred on the same date). The lending environment has changed since then, but I was approved for a Citi DC card with 7 inquiries on EX, 2 on EQ, and 9 on TU (Citi pulled both TU and EX). The approval also came during a month-long app spree where I added 5 new cards.





Message 6 of 16
Established Contributor

Re: Citibank Denial and Recon Failure


@MaizeandBlue wrote:

Did you get a letter from Citi stating the exact reasons for their denial?

 

How many inquiries are on each of your credit reports for the last 12 months? What are your current credit scores for each bureau?

 

I doubt the denial is only because of 3 inquiries (even if they occurred on the same date). The lending environment has changed since then, but I was approved for a Citi DC card with 7 inquiries on EX, 2 on EQ, and 9 on TU (Citi pulled both TU and EX). The approval also came during a month-long app spree where I added 5 new cards.


The exact reason was too many recent inquiries. When I talked to the second rep, I said "5 in 6 months" and she immediately said "that's a lot." They pulled EX and EQ for me.

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 7 of 16
Super Contributor

Re: Citibank Denial and Recon Failure

Citi has a 6 inquiries in 6 months rule. They won't recon when they deny for that reason. 



01/2019:
1/2020:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards: Cash+, Freedom.
Message 8 of 16
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Citibank Denial and Recon Failure

Penfed would hp their own mothers thrice on same day ig given chance. Ive been hit with doubles, on same product and trying to get them removed or recoded is akin to making grass grow faster in winterSmiley Wink
#ChaseCreditCardHobby Enthusiast
2022
!
Message 9 of 16
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Citibank Denial and Recon Failure


@GApeachy wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Also, when it comes to HP removal, CRAs cannot and won't do anything.


Why do you say that?  Last week Experian removed 2 of 3 of my hp's.  


 

I day that because CRAs cannot remove HPs independently from lender. 

If a lender instructs them to do so due to error, it gets removed.  

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.