cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Application before it becomes scarce!?

tag
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Application before it becomes scarce!?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

Why not go for both? Those are both wonderful cards IMO in the sense that they each have benefits that could appeal to most everyone in general, and the only time they really overlap much is during the grocery quarter for Disco. Neither have AF so that's a big plus too. Your profile looks like it would support a Disco approval with no problem (of course it's always YMMV) and you already have the AMEX preapproval so that's a near slam dunk!

The last opened card I have is from Dec 2019 and with all the inquiries that I have in the last 24 I want to make sure that if I apply neither will deny based on a rule like Chase 5/24. In the last 24mo I have only opened 3 accounts.

I'm definitely not trying to egg you on to apply for a card you don't need, or wouldn't fit your spend. (Although I really do love reading the approval threads. 😂) Neither one of those lenders have a rule similar to 5/24, and those two seem to be less inquiry sensitive than some of the more conservative lenders. I honestly feel you would have a solid chance of landing either/both of those cards. At the end of the day the most important thing is that what you app for is what you will get the best use out of. Whatever you decide to do, good luck to you! 🙂

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 11 of 15
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals!

IBTL

Message 12 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

If you need a new card, then apply by all means.

If you dont need a card, but are about to apply because of Nerd Wallet email...they get their money from peddling cards. 

It is true we're living in uncertain times, but I'd go with only one app at the time. If you suddenly start applying for everything, it might make lenders think you're really hurting for money. 

Disco and Amex do not have a "rule" such as 5/24, but both will deny if there is too much recent activity.  

No one can quantify for you what "too much" is, because that's really profile dependent.

Both of their prequals tend to be fairly reliable, not too many denials with one, providing you never burned them. 

Good luck and I hope to see an approval thread from you!

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

If you need a new card, then apply by all means.

If you dont need a card, but are about to apply because of Nerd Wallet email...they get their money from peddling cards. 

It is true we're living in uncertain times, but I'd go with only one app at the time. If you suddenly start applying for everything, it might make lenders think you're really hurting for money. 

Disco and Amex do not have a "rule" such as 5/24, but both will deny if there is too much recent activity.  

No one can quantify for you what "too much" is, because that's really profile dependent.

Both of their prequals tend to be fairly reliable, not too many denials with one, providing you never burned them. 

Good luck and I hope to see an approval thread from you!

Absutely and I went for it today. I went for my first trifecta:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/CC-Approvals-Chase-Freedom-Amex-BCE-and-Disco...

Message 14 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Locking this thread as you've been approved. 

Congrats

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.