Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISCOVER Application Denied. Old Report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DISCOVER Application Denied. Old Report

Anyone have an idea how often Discover does a clean pull of a report?

I applied back on July 11th and was not aware of how bad EXP looked. 3 small revolving account with $1200 CL @ 87% Util. 12 inq, 2 charge offs, 1 collection, etc etc Since then I have it cleaned up A LOT, Now I have a $4200 Credit line with 4 cards, 2 installment accounts, same car loan for 2 years, only 2 inquires, one is THEM. No collections or charge off, Util is at 6%. Thought I would give it another shot for the IT card online.. DENIED and the exact same reasons printed as the July 11th denial. I called and talked with them and they used the same report from July 11. I looked and no hard pull was done off EXP. I need them to get a CURRENT file to look at and she said she had no idea when the old file would go away from their system,

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

Re: DISCOVER Application Denied. Old Report

Call Recon and and tell them to pull a new file. I was initially declined for the PRG today through AmEx but my Exp score is up 40 points from the previous report (642 to 682) -- I told them I WANTED them to pull another CR.

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ask if they could pull a new file and she said she didn't have that ability. I told her the file she was looking at was old and can she please do an updated file she said no and I asked how old the file had to be on record to pull a new one. She had no idea.. Oh well..
Message 3 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Good thing is they didnt pull again. Maybe give it another or 2 so the system catches up. Good luckSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 14
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Divon..

Have you signed up for Credit Scorecard?

If not....

Enroll in CS.....

That will force Disco to SP you on Experian ...

(Plus its a free monthly FICO score from Experian) 

And of course Disco keeps a copy of this data... =) =)

(Because Credit Scorecard does an Experian SP to generate the Fico score the day you enroll,, and then 30 days thereafter...)

Id still wait at least 30-60 days if your going to try again to actually re-app... more closer to 30 if you sucessfully enroll in CS and it starts offering you a card.. Discover doesn't really do recons in the traditional sense...

Im guessing your close to an approval from your signature and such... Its very likely that after CS does its pull.. you might get offered a secured card.. or even a regular card.... im curious as to how long before you get the offer....and which cards your offered as well..

-J

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been a member for 2 months. I get SC offers while im signed in. But I heard a few say they tried the IT card anyway and got it. I tried the first time on the 11th of last month so it's been just under a month. My Score updates again on the 14th with scorecard and I'll see what the offer then. Thanks.
Message 6 of 14
joltdude
Senior Contributor

One of the few times i was hoping you *werent* enrolled becaue it would have forced them to pull.. But since you are.. you already know they will do a re-pull on the 14th... This is only ancedotal data.. 660 or higher is roughly the point cards start unsecuring....  I "hope" the offer will change to a regular card..... then id apply again if it were me.. That said id still lean towards waiting a full month from the CS pull.. But at least discover will have current data ... .

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks will put it on the list of next month's to-dos lol
Message 8 of 14
shoegal
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have been a member for 2 months. I get SC offers while im signed in. But I heard a few say they tried the IT card anyway and got it. I tried the first time on the 11th of last month so it's been just under a month. My Score updates again on the 14th with scorecard and I'll see what the offer then. Thanks.

I had the same issue the first time I applied on Jun 12th. They look at an old file + old score, and I was denied. Also, no go at a recon. I waited until score card updated (July 13th) and applied on July 17th using the link in the score card email they send every month. I wasn't instantly approved because they wanted me to verify my identity, so I uploaded the docs, then the app prompted me to call them. I did right away, they ask to verify some info, and a few minutes later I was approved. Give it time, and you'll get it.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I'll be ((@$@#$ ... After all this hoopla last night, Just for the hell of it I logged into ScoreCard this morning.. My Scorecard is updated. From a 632 with all of the bad stuff to a Yellow 664/FICO - Green 15 total accounts - Yellow 12 Yrs  Credit History - Yellow 2 Inquires - Green 24% Util - Green 0 Missed Payments. And they think I should have a Discover IT unsecured card now. But when I see details it's still showing a APR of 11.99% - 23.99% with 0 APR for 14 months. The APR range is scaring me. When I do a new app I'd like a pretty good initial CL for a good boost in my CL overall. The Util is still a little high from the truth as some of my cards have not updated and should show about 3% Utilisation. Thoughts?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.