Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Datapoint: Chase CC & Checking Accnts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Datapoint: Chase CC & Checking Accnts

It seems if you're an existing banking customer, Chase will take your bank accounts into consideration during a recon.

Got denied for a Chase Freedom, due to lack of credit history. First recon went nowhere. Second recon the lady seemed to really be trying - Pushed the app through again, asked me about why I wanted the card, asked me to explain each HP I've taken recently, went more in depth about what my position at work entails, etc. The first reason I gave for wanting a Chase CC was to establish a credit relationship with the insitution I've done my banking with since I was 18 (true).  

Unfortunately, they couldn't overturn. Main reason cited was an overdraft on my personal checking account in the past 12 months. Fair enough. I actually keep most of my income in a different high yield savings account or one of my brokerage accounts, pulling out as needed. I remember the overdraft, it was a Netflix payment about a week ago. Transferred some cash in from my business checking account when I got the notification on my phone.

So, not too broken up. I did want to establish a relationship with Chase before I started gardening, and the sign up bonus would have been nice, but I feel like a 3rd attempt isn't going to go anywhere after the work the CSR put into this one. Just thought I'd throw that datapoint in the mix for everyone.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Datapoint: Chase CC & Checking Accnts

Some lenders will at times consider the realtionship with the customer who has other products with them. Mainly because they umderstand you bring them business on muiltiple fronts. Ymmv, and not all do this. But certainly, it makes sense from a business perspective, that a lender would keep in mind how deep your relationship goes with them.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 4
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

It seems if you're an existing banking customer, Chase will take your bank accounts into consideration during a recon.

Got denied for a Chase Freedom, due to lack of credit history. First recon went nowhere. Second recon the lady seemed to really be trying - Pushed the app through again, asked me about why I wanted the card, asked me to explain each HP I've taken recently, went more in depth about what my position at work entails, etc. The first reason I gave for wanting a Chase CC was to establish a credit relationship with the insitution I've done my banking with since I was 18 (true).  

Unfortunately, they couldn't overturn. Main reason cited was an overdraft on my personal checking account in the past 12 months. Fair enough. I actually keep most of my income in a different high yield savings account or one of my brokerage accounts, pulling out as needed. I remember the overdraft, it was a Netflix payment about a week ago. Transferred some cash in from my business checking account when I got the notification on my phone.

So, not too broken up. I did want to establish a relationship with Chase before I started gardening, and the sign up bonus would have been nice, but I feel like a 3rd attempt isn't going to go anywhere after the work the CSR put into this one. Just thought I'd throw that datapoint in the mix for everyone.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I have no doubt this will help someone later on.  It's good to know (and for those who were already aware, a good reminder) that Chase can take a banking relationship (i.e. deposit account) into consideration if someone's approval is 'on the fence'.  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I have no doubt this will help someone later on.  It's good to know (and for those who were already aware, a good reminder) that Chase can take a banking relationship (i.e. deposit account) into consideration if someone's approval is 'on the fence'.  Smiley Happy

I hope it does! If I had known beforehand, I would have been keeping more cash in that account. I've read about the special consideration form, but never came across a mention of looking at checking accounts during a phone recon.

If the new 2/24 rule is a reality, then I'm out of the running for a while. I figured it was now or never, because my new Citi and Discover cards aren't reporting yet, and I'm going down to my local CU today to talk to a LO about their CCs and a shared secure loan (to get some installment history). 

Oh well, they'd probably be pretty ticked off if I actually did get approved, then a bunch of new cards popped up in my CR a month later. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.