cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 5% categories application timing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover 5% categories application timing?

I have a great relationship with my Chase banker from back when I was still in business and he knows if he ever sees a CSP preapproval to let me know and we'll try for CSR.  I'm not in any rush to waste inquiries right now, just thankful to be back in with Chase with the FU toy card until they trust me again.  I know I still have 6 months minimum to get into a good score range, plus I really want to get my AAoA back up to 24 months with patience.  $700 a year more in rewards definitely is worth doing it as early as possible!

As for living an exciting life, that's very debateable.  I don't own a TV, no computer at home, no WiFi, limit my mobile plan to 1GB monthly, don't eat out, definitely don't spend money on beers and chips.  My plan in my early 30s was to retire in my early 40s and the only way to do that and continue to do what I love to do on vacation means I live a boring life most of the time, haha.  It's a trade-off, but one I went into with full clarity!

Message 11 of 15
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Good luck on your journey! Sounds like you lead an exciting life!

FYI, if waiting for the CSR, specifically, I don’t believe they issue prequals online for those. Only CSP. Others can comment on whether CSP PQ means you could also get CSR.

The difference is that the CSR has a minimum starting limit that's twice that of the CSP ($10,000 vs. $5,000).

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that's why I have to be patient as I have no prybar revolvers with high limits.  I assume once Discover graduates ($2500 CL is the max deposit they allow) I should hopefully get decent CLIs there.  Cap1 secured takes 11ish months before graduation is likely, but that's $3000 CL (also max deposit) and historically I know Capital One can be friendly to increases.

I won't bother attempting CSR until I actually have some $10k limits already.  I considered 2 secured cards with $10,000 max deposits but don't know if a secured card actually works as a prybar elsewhere -- no real datapoints I've ever discovered.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have a very unique & fascinating existence along with one of the more unique credit profiles I've come across. Glad to hear things are looking up for you build wise.

I had written this huge post about how nearly all your listed travel will code correctly as travel before realizing you said redemption is likely the problem. I am admittedly new to the UR program and know next to nothing about scope of direct redemption through chase outside airfare. There may well be transfer partners that could work for you but that's getting more complex than I could speak to for you.

Re: 3% cash cards you could try and snag citi Costco for 4% gas 3% travel - though if I'm not mistaken I don't think you'll get the 4% gas on boat or airplane fuel.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You have a very unique & fascinating existence along with one of the more unique credit profiles I've come across. Glad to hear things are looking up for you build wise.

All my life I've been that way.  If everyone is buying, I'm selling.  If everyone is selling, I'm buying, haha.  Same with travel -- I avoid whatever is popular so I can find better value for my time and money!

@Anonymous wrote:

I had written this huge post about how nearly all your listed travel will code correctly as travel before realizing you said redemption is likely the problem. I am admittedly new to the UR program and know next to nothing about scope of direct redemption through chase outside airfare. There may well be transfer partners that could work for you but that's getting more complex than I could speak to for you.

I used to be VERY committed to American Airlines (as was my dad, a lifetime multimillion miler) but they absolutely destroyed the value of redemption for me so I rarely fly them except on the VERY rare occasion that they're cheaper than Spirit or Frontier.  Which is basically never.  A $50 flight (3-4 hours) always beats ANY redemption I've ever calculated or estimated, 100% of the time.  I recently booked a $29 flight (3 hours) each direction, with taxes and the next cheapest was $239 round trip!  Some of my travels (such as the African safari trip a few years ago) had the travel booked by the TA and it was way cheaper than booking myself cash/mileage because of the entire package.

@Anonymous wrote:

Re: 3% cash cards you could try and snag citi Costco for 4% gas 3% travel - though if I'm not mistaken I don't think you'll get the 4% gas on boat or airplane fuel.

Yeah that's a tricky one since I spend literally $0 on gasoline annually.  All of my cars are 100% electric (I rent them out on Turo and the like) and I prefer Uber to driver if it makes financial sense (it usually does).  Last week I had access to zero cars because they were all rented making me $60ish a day and my average Uber ride is about $6.

I would be stunned if boat fuel was coded as gasoline, but to be honest I never checked!  The main marina I go to gives a 6% discount for paying cash, though, so no chance rewards will beat that.  And the private plane I have a share in includes fuel costs in the price I pay when it's wheels up (hourly price) so no benefit there.

3% on travel works great, if it's cashback and if I can get it coded properly on the booking side!

I'm a unique enough situation, but most of the people I spend time with on vacation are similar to me, so maybe not that unique.

The other big thing for me is that in 3-5 years or so I probably will be doing the liveaboard thing on a biggish boat and all of a sudden my spend will plummet massively, so I really only have now until that point to maximize rewards on spending.  I am 100% OK with eating fish caught out of the ocean, too, haha.  Every dollar I earn in cashback now goes towards expediting that major life change.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.