Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT denied CLI

tag
carlos1son
New Contributor

Discover IT denied CLI

I've had the card for awhile and always pay off the balance but been inactive since last year would that be a reason? 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Discover IT denied CLI

Yup. 

Message 2 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@carlos1son wrote:

I've had the card for awhile and always pay off the balance but been inactive since last year would that be a reason? 

In a short summary, YES!

I have been denied for lack of credit line usage.

But then I use it, and get denied for another reason.Smiley Tongue

You may want to put some activity on your cards every 6 months, so the lender does not close them on you.

Every lender is different ... but 6 months is a good general practice.

I have had none closed with 6 month activity ... even if its a $2 Amazon gift card reload,

or a couple $$$$ in Gas. Sometimes I'll throw $10 on the starbucks app.

Message 3 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Yup. 

I type to long and slow. Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 11
blindambition
Senior Contributor

It's best to wait for incoming letter. It will state factors for denial, but lack of use can certainly be a factor. There's no reason, or incentive for a lender to extend more credit on dormant account.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Out of all my cards, DISCOVER is the hardest nut to crack to get a CLI.  It's my lowest limit card and I only use it for gas and snacks because the limit is so low.  Even with a perfect track record, no missed payments ever and always PIF before statement cut, DISCOVER still won't budge.  Who knows.

My DP's as a reference

EX:  740   EQ:  740   TU: 745

AGG UTIL: 5%

Message 6 of 11
carlos1son
New Contributor

For NFCU, do you need to have military affiliation or no?

Message 7 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@carlos1son wrote:

For NFCU, do you need to have military affiliation or no?

@carlos1son- below is the link to their membership elegibility criteria for guidance:

https://www.navyfederal.org/membership/eligibility.html?intcmp=nav|mbrspmenu|||eligibility|10/19/201...

Message 8 of 11
cr101
Established Contributor

How long have you had your card? I was looking for a place to post this bc I think that I just confirmed something that I saw in an older post. I keep getting declined for "insufficient experience" with current limit. The rep told me that I need to have the card for at least 12 months, starting from the time that it was unsecured. 

Message 9 of 11
carlos1son
New Contributor

@cr101 wrote:

How long have you had your card? I was looking for a place to post this bc I think that I just confirmed something that I saw in an older post. I keep getting declined for "insufficient experience" with current limit. The rep told me that I need to have the card for at least 12 months, starting from the time that it was unsecured. 

Like 5 years now but I never use it. I got to start using it again.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.