Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover card CLI request

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover card CLI request

I've had my Discover card for 4 years. It started as a secured card then after 1 year it was unsecured with a total cl of $2,000. I have other cards with high limits upwards of 20K. I've been requesting a CLI from Discover for years only to be denied. So today I got the "2 day review your account" message for the first time in 3 years. Utilization is at 50% right now but almost 70k in credit. I'm hoping that Discover increases my limit - I've never been late on that card. Will keep you posted. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Discover card CLI request

Good luck!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 12
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

I wish you luck, it's a lot of hit and miss according to others experiences.

I've had 1 CLI of $500 when my card turned a year old, bringing me to 1500 SL. This week I bought my grandson a playstation for his birthday with the Discover card, I have a 0% APR till next April, that's why I used Discover.

I'm gonna let much more cut on the statement than I normally do, usually PIF by statement or 1%. I'm hoping that might get me a little more of the Disco love, idk, we'll see. 

Keep us updated on your result, good luck!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 3 of 12
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

Piece of advice, don't request Cl too often; I was using the soft pull button on the app and They AA me. There was not other reason ( clean profile, payed in full...)It's been 3 yrs and can't get back in. Something to keep in mind.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Yasselife 

I m sorry what does the acronym AA stand for? Thanks. 

Message 5 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Yasselife 

I m sorry what does the acronym AA stand for? Thanks. 

AA = Adverse Action 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/m-p/88458

Message 6 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had my Discover card for 4 years. It started as a secured card then after 1 year it was unsecured with a total cl of $2,000. I have other cards with high limits upwards of 20K. I've been requesting a CLI from Discover for years only to be denied. So today I got the "2 day review your account" message for the first time in 3 years. Utilization is at 50% right now but almost 70k in credit. I'm hoping that Discover increases my limit - I've never been late on that card. Will keep you posted. 

Back in the day that was often a good sign but  i dont think it means much nowadays.  Just getting anything other than instant denial is a win thoughSmiley Happy.  

Message 7 of 12
Bkist21
Valued Member

I've had mine since June 2019 and finally got a CLI a couple of days ago for the first time!  Good Luck!

Message 8 of 12
FalconSteve
Valued Contributor

@Yasselife wrote:

Piece of advice, don't request Cl too often; I was using the soft pull button on the app and They AA me. There was not other reason ( clean profile, payed in full...)It's been 3 yrs and can't get back in. Something to keep in mind.

My wife requests CLI all the time and hasn't had an AA (until the last one, they were only $300 each, so Discover grew VERY slow). They never seem to care about frequent CLI requests in our case, but we always pay before statements even post, so that likey helps (we're very low risk).

1/8/17 Discover $18300 CL- $1k SL- AU, wife
1/26/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $35k CL, wife
2/19/20 BB&T/Truist Rewards $11k SL- impulse application
2/22/20 Citi Double Cash WEMC $2.9k-->$4.4k-->$8.4k-->$13.4k-->$17.4k-->$19.4k-->$22.4k AU, wife
3/8/20 Wells Fargo Propel AmEx/Autograph VISA $2900-->$3200-->$5000-->$8800 CL- AU, wife
3/9/20 Truist Rewards $11k SL- AU, wife- impulse app
3/21/20 REDcard MasterCard (TD Bank) $2500-->$6000-->$6500 CL
11/24/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $10k SL-->36hr-->$20k-->$35k CL
6/10/21 SoFi World Elite MC (TBOM) $7000 SL
1/19/22 AppleCard/GS $6k-->$10k-->$11k AU, wife
8/15/22 Chase freedom flex $10.3k SL-->$12.5k-->$15k AU, wife
7/5/23 Lowes/Synchrony $4k-->$10k-->same day-->$35k CL
8/2/23 Chase freedom flex $19k --> $22.8 CL
8/2/23 Discover $8k SL
Message 9 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@FalconSteve wrote:

@Yasselife wrote:

My wife requests CLI all the time and hasn't had an AA (until the last one, they were only $300 each, so Discover grew VERY slow). They never seem to care about frequent CLI requests in our case, but we always pay before statements even post, so that likey helps (we're very low risk).

Ive been known to hulk smash back in the good ol days, pre Pandemic,  we had some fun here on myFico with Ms Disco. I still continue to hit the luv button for fun but not as much. I have in my mind they could throw a 4506 at me if they want as they have been doing it more often to people but im mentally prepared to lose my cards  if i have to. Having 30+ ccs allows me that and i enjoy using only 1 card nowadays as i try to tackle my debt. I agree  though here havent seen much in negatives by always asking for a cliSmiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.