cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover or Amex Pre Approval offers from both??

Established Member

Discover or Amex Pre Approval offers from both??

Ok, so I tryed the prequalify on the amex site and the discover site. I was preapproved for both the Discover cash back and the chrome card came up. Amex came up with the Amex Everyday Card and the Cash Magnet Card with a special launch offer. Not sure what that means. I am waiting for my reports to update next week. I am currently at 695 exp, 669 trans, 691 equifax. I have paid off 3 of my credit cards down to zero and am holding a capital one with about 40% utilization on a 5500 cl. I expect my scores to be in the low 700's next week after my update. When that happens I am going to apply for one or the other. Which one do you think has the best approval odds with the highest starting cl? My AAOC is 66 months and 100% on time payments also no inquiries in 2 yrs. Should I app for both on the same day? Looking for some advice! Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover or Amex Pre Approval offers from both??

@Bake99 wrote:

Ok, so I tryed the prequalify on the amex site and the discover site. I was preapproved for both the Discover cash back and the chrome card came up. Amex came up with the Amex Everyday Card and the Cash Magnet Card with a special launch offer. Not sure what that means. I am waiting for my reports to update next week. I am currently at 695 exp, 669 trans, 691 equifax. I have paid off 3 of my credit cards down to zero and am holding a capital one with about 40% utilization on a 5500 cl. I expect my scores to be in the low 700's next week after my update. When that happens I am going to apply for one or the other. Which one do you think has the best approval odds with the highest starting cl? My AAOC is 66 months and 100% on time payments also no inquiries in 2 yrs. Should I app for both on the same day? Looking for some advice! Thanks!

I have the same prequals on discover and my amex prequals are slightly different as they wanna give me the Blue Cash and the Green card. I was thinking about applying for a charge and revolver from amex on the same day. EX is my highest score.

FICO 8 Scores 07/17
FICO 8 Scores 07/18
Message 2 of 6
Established Contributor

Depends on....

1. What type of reward card holds the highest priority to you?

2. Whom do you prefer to get in with first?

I app'd Disco first because my rebuild history was not long enough for AmEx. However AmEx has treated me better than Disco. Its very much a YMMV thing.

9/16/17 FICO 9 TU-661 EQ-648 EX-607
12/27/17 FICO9 TU-706 EQ-672 EX-690
3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 3 of 6
Regular Contributor

@somewhere how’d you get your EX and TU score to grow like that in 3 months?

FICO 8 Scores 07/17
FICO 8 Scores 07/18
Message 4 of 6
Established Contributor

Swipe what I could with that low SL, high weekly payments, ensuring my balance didn't go over 20% utilization around statement time.

9/16/17 FICO 9 TU-661 EQ-648 EX-607
12/27/17 FICO9 TU-706 EQ-672 EX-690
3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 5 of 6
Established Contributor

I've had the opposite experience with these lenders. Discover in January and Amex in Feb and May of this year. My scores have sky rocketed and so has my Discover SL while Amex is sedentary.

Message 6 of 6