cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to accept an AMEX offer before seeing the SL?

tag
wmr0919

Do I have to accept an AMEX offer before seeing the SL?

Hi All,

Got two AMEX cards
AMEX Blue Everyday (SL 1k, opened in May 2021, CLI last month to get it to 2k)

BCP (opened before recent CLI on Blue Everyday, again 1k SL)

When I applied for both my scores were in the mid 600s. I've been paying down my debt recently and I'm sitting around a 750 now TU and curently am approved for all AMEX cards. What I don't want to do is apply again despite my credit profile shift and get another 1-2k SL. I have other cards with much bigger limits (Barclays 10k, Wells Fargo 8k, Apple Card 7500) so I'm thinking that combined with my recent credit profile improvements, I might get a better SL. Is it possible to see the SL before actually accepting the offer?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Do I have to accept an AMEX offer before seeing the SL?

Amex does not show you the SL before you accept, you don't find out until you accept offer.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 10
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Not only do you not see the SL until approval, but you also sometimes even get to wait until the card arrives at your door and you add it to your account before you know what you've got.
With the limits you've been given I think AMEX is still watching how you handle things in the credit area.
Unless it is an absolute must to apply for a new card now, my advice would be to give it six months, then check the Fico score on their website, MENU, ACCOUNT SERVICES, PROFILE and scroll all the way down to the bottom, this is the score AMEX will use when you apply.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 3 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@wmr0919 wrote:

Hi All,

Got two AMEX cards
AMEX Blue Everyday (SL 1k, opened in May 2021, CLI last month to get it to 2k)

BCP (opened before recent CLI on Blue Everyday, again 1k SL)

When I applied for both my scores were in the mid 600s. I've been paying down my debt recently and I'm sitting around a 750 now TU and curently am approved for all AMEX cards. What I don't want to do is apply again despite my credit profile shift and get another 1-2k SL. I have other cards with much bigger limits (Barclays 10k, Wells Fargo 8k, Apple Card 7500) so I'm thinking that combined with my recent credit profile improvements, I might get a better SL. Is it possible to see the SL before actually accepting the offer?

No there isn't a way. But bear in mind that Amex is one of the easiest lenders from which to get SP CLI's.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 10
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

@wmr0919  I definitely concur with @Priory_Man that you should probably wait several months before applying for a new card. Considering that they gave you another 1K SL, AMEX seems hesitant to open the floodgates. Could definitely have been the 600 scores suppressing your initial SL s but could also be something else in your profile making them a little skittish. The last thing you want is to potentially get another 1K SL which may be bucketed  before they consider giving you a CLI. The good thing though is that they were comfortable giving you the 1K to 2K increase so you've clearly been doing something right. Wait it out a bit. And you may actually want to try 3x CLI on your 2K CL card to get that to 6K. And then, apply for a new card then. Another successful CL may be a good way to see if they'll give a larger SL. 

Avoided credit cards after ruining my financial health but got back into the game in 2019 after a 20 year hiatus
Total Revolving CL- $204,500 | Order of Opened Cards
Delta SkyMiles Blue- SL-$1K | CL- $22.6K
(pc'd from SkyMiles Platinum back to Blue)
Delta SkyMiles Reserve- SL- $10K | CL- $20K
Chase Sapphire Reserve- SL $20K | CL- $39K
Cap 1 Venture Rewards- SL $10K | CL $ 19.5K
Amex Everyday Preferred- SL $13.1K | CL $10K ( moved some limits around )
Chase Freedom Unlimited: SL $23.4K| CL $36.8K
BOA Unlimited Cash SL: $20.8K| CL $10.8K(moved some limits around)
BOA Travel Rewards SL: $20.8K | CL $5.8K(moved some limits around)
Amex Blue Cash Everyday SL: $10K
Amex Green Card: NPSL / POT: 17K
BOA BankAmericard: SL: $5K | CL: $30K
Message 5 of 10
paulesport
Contributor

I had requested CLI on my Amex Delta Plat (opened in 2019) which was now at $11.1k (SL 8k) and got approved for $27.7k. And 3 months prior to opening the Delta Plat was a BonVoy Brilliant SL 1.4K. But last month, 2 weeks after Delta Plat CLI approval, I apped for the Delta Reserve and got approved for $13.1k, higher than my previous SL's. Also once I got the card, the SL was increased to $13.8k. So it's possible to get higher SL even apping after a CLI request. 

However I agree with @Priory_Man that waiting a bit longer will def help your case for a higher CLI.

personal
biz

Start 1/1/19
Best 11/15/21
Current rebuild

Message 6 of 10
SDMarik
Established Contributor

If there is an Amex that suits your needs, pull the trigger, should be a SP anyway. While you wont see your SL until after you accept (or sometimes after the card arrives) they are probably the easiest issuer to get CLI's from if you treat them right.

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 7 of 10
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

Definitely a good sign they bumped up your first card to 2k.  You should probably check your credit score that Amex shows.  Forget about the Vantage bs score, get the FICO:  From Amex home page > Account Services > Profile.  Go all the way to the bottom of the Profile page to retrieve your score.  Amex seems to use info that is a little aged, so if your current FICO score has been increasing, wait until it stabilizes before taking action.  In my case, they are still using a FICO score of July 22.

I'd vote for a multi-month pause. 

Message 8 of 10
learningcredit54
Regular Contributor

I wish they did, this way I would have never pulled the trigger on my BCP with a 1k SL. Although grateful, wish it would have been more or that a CLI would be granted. Patience, patience, patience

Business Cards:
Amex Business Plus: 6000 // Amex Business Hilton Honors: 3000 // Amex Delta Gold: 4900 // Amex Business Platinum NPSL POT 5000 // Amex Business Gold NPSL POT 15000

Personal Cards:
Discover It Cash Back: 8000 // Chase Saphire Preferred: 5000 // Truist Enjoy Beyond: 4500 // Amex Blue Cash Preferred: 1000 // Cap1SavorOne: 2000 // Cap1 Secured Platinum: 200 // Cap1 QuiksilverOne 2000 // Citi Double Cash: 5200 // Amex Platinum NPSL POT 4000 // Amex Gold NPSL POT 1750

GOAL SCORES 750 ACROSS
Message 9 of 10
Lou-natic
Established Contributor

So fun fact, when I got my Amazon Business Prime card AMEX didn't tell me my SL...

Anyway I went and started my online account and got the ball rolling and it said I had a $2,500 limit.

I went ahead and opened my cardmemeber agreement that was available through my account and right at the top left it showed a credit limit of $13,000.

Once I received and activated the card the website updated to show $13,000 as it said in the agreement.

AMEX.JPG

When you open an AMEX account just check the cardmember agreement and it'll show it even if they didn't anywhere else.

3/3/24
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.