cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian FICO score is significantly lower on denial letter than an Experian's website....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian FICO score is significantly lower on denial letter than an Experian's website....

Hello, 

I have a membership with experian that furnishes my Experian Fico 8 score & corresponding report on a daily basis.... 

Problem comes when I see an increase in score, recently- with paying off old accounts, collections, etc.. on the experian portal it states my Experian Fico 8 is 672- so with that score, I gather a little confidence and I apply for cards in that range and BOOM, denied. 

Wait to receive letters, and my score with experian according to the letters is in the high 500's.... what gives?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: Experian FICO score is significantly lower on denial letter than an Experian's website....

Good for you paying off collections and improving your score!  

Most creditors are about a month behind on score improvements, some even more.

EX: They pull their score from Nov and it will update to their site for Dec.

Just give it a little more time between score rise & apping..

Good Luckaaa1 Good Luck.gif

ETA: Wait, if you're applying for a new card, it should be doing a HP of your current score directly from Ex. Hum.

Perhaps the CC issuer uses a different CB? Or a different Fico score than 8...Do you know your TU & EQ scores as well?

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experian FICO score is significantly lower on denial letter than an Experian's website....

3 factors defines a score, where, when and which? CRA it pulled from, date it was pulled and which scoring model it used. You should be able to find all 3 on your denial letter.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

ETA: Wait, if you're applying for a new card, it should be doing a HP of your current score directly from Ex. Hum.

Perhaps the CC issuer uses a different CB? Or a different Fico score than 8...Do you know your TU & EQ scores as well?

Thank you, clears things up! 

Yes new card app, it was for Amex, they did pull Experian- denial letter shows an incredbly low score of 586.. Smiley Sad 

Message 4 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

Thank you, clears things up! 

Yes new card app, it was for Amex, they did pull Experian- denial letter shows an incredbly low score of 586.. Smiley Sad 

OP, your membership with Experian, is it through Credit.com?

If so, you're looking at EX Vantage score 

If you're getting  FICO  score , it would be from here       https://www.experian.com/help/login.html

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is from Experian.com made sure to do it this way to get the actual FICO 8 that they advertise...
Message 6 of 10
difringe
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, 

I have a membership with experian that furnishes my Experian Fico 8 score & corresponding report on a daily basis.... 

Problem comes when I see an increase in score, recently- with paying off old accounts, collections, etc.. on the experian portal it states my Experian Fico 8 is 672- so with that score, I gather a little confidence and I apply for cards in that range and BOOM, denied. 

Wait to receive letters, and my score with experian according to the letters is in the high 500's.... what gives?

Hey, I didn't see this in the topic; did you confirm the date of the Experian score pulled for that denial?

Message 7 of 10
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, 

What did you apply for and did you call for a recon and to find out the reasons for denial?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 8 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, 

The lender is probably pulling a different scoring model, like FICO 2.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 10
sjt
Senior Contributor

If you ever had an Amex, even as an AU, they tend to SP on a regular basis. The score they gave you could have been from their last AU.

I would call for a recon.

FYI- Amex uses FICO 8 and tends to pull Experian.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.