Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exxon/Mobile Denied By Experian???

tag
Scott_S
Regular Contributor

Exxon/Mobile Denied By Experian???

I was denied for Exxon/Mobile & Shell gas cards for the same reason: "Credit Obligations Exceed Stated Income"  So I called backdoor number for Citi to ask for recon because my income does not exceed obligations and was told by the rep that I should call Experian and ask them what income they are reporting for me.  I asked the rep why I needed to call Experian?  She said Experian is who denied my application for both gas cards, I said Huh?  I said wasn't it Citi that made the decision?  She said NO, Experian makes the decision....  I asked this like 5 times and she kept telling me Experian denied my application...

Should I call again???

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Exxon/Mobile Denied By Experian???

I would call and speak with another rep. Experian's report may have caused the denial, but it was Citi that denied you due to the info in the report...

Message 2 of 4
ddemari
Super Contributor

Sounds like a misinformed rep. Usually whenever I read a decline letter it says we obtained your credit score from blah blah but this alone did not impact our decesion to deny you for credit.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scott_S wrote:

I was denied for Exxon/Mobile & Shell gas cards for the same reason: "Credit Obligations Exceed Stated Income"  So I called backdoor number for Citi to ask for recon because my income does not exceed obligations and was told by the rep that I should call Experian and ask them what income they are reporting for me.  I asked the rep why I needed to call Experian?  She said Experian is who denied my application for both gas cards, I said Huh?  I said wasn't it Citi that made the decision?  She said NO, Experian makes the decision....  I asked this like 5 times and she kept telling me Experian denied my application...

Should I call again???

Call back.  Ask to speak to an adult or someone who knows what they're doing Smiley Wink

Also, I am nearly at 2x my income, and some people here are 3-4x their income.  My last Citi card is what put my CL over $100k.  So I don't quite follow this CSR's logic.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.