cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico Scores - Amex Gold

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Established Member

Fico Scores - Amex Gold

I am wanting to apply for Amex gold but am not sure if it is a good time or not due to my scores. My Experian Fico Score 8 is 742 but my Fico Bankcard 8 Score (provided by my bank) is still 654. I am wondering why the discrepancy, and which score Amex looks at? I have no late payments or dings, and utilization is around 15%. Any help would be greatly apprecaited. All other scores (Vantage, Transunion, Equifax etc. average around 710). Thanks in advanace.  

30 REPLIES 30
Senior Contributor

Re: Fico Scores - Amex Gold

@CosmoKramer- wrote:

I am wanting to apply for Amex gold but am not sure if it is a good time or not due to my scores. My Experian Fico Score 8 is 742 but my Fico Bankcard 8 Score (provided by my bank) is still 654. I am wondering why the discrepancy, and which score Amex looks at? I have no late payments or dings, and utilization is around 15%. Any help would be greatly apprecaited. All other scores (Vantage, Transunion, Equifax etc. average around 710). Thanks in advanace.  

Amex will only pull your Experian FICO Score 8 score and yours is high enough to qualify for the Amex Gold card.  Have you checked Amex's website to see if you are pre-approved?

Message 2 of 31
Established Member

I see, thank you for the clarification. And I have checked, the only ones I am showing as prequalified for are: Amex Everyday CC, Delta Skymiles Blue, and Amex Green Card. I have read that Amex Green and Amex Gold card have roughly same approval odds, but not sure of the accuracy of that. I would much rather the Gold card than the Green. 

Message 3 of 31
Valued Contributor

@CosmoKramer- wrote:

I see, thank you for the clarification. And I have checked, the only ones I am showing as prequalified for are: Amex Everyday CC, Delta Skymiles Blue, and Amex Green Card. I have read that Amex Green and Amex Gold card have roughly same approval odds, but not sure of the accuracy of that. I would much rather the Gold card than the Green. 

If you pre qualified for the Amex Green Card, you are good for the Gold Card as well. Just make sure you apply with the 50k MR points offer instead of the public 25k MR points. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 31
New Visitor

It will only show you the three on that page, you have to go to every card and click apply and it will either say you’re pre approved or expanding your.....
Message 5 of 31
Established Member

Will it show that even if you are not a current Amex member?

Gardening since 9/1/18
Message 6 of 31
Senior Contributor

@Guambomb wrote:

Will it show that even if you are not a current Amex member?

No.

Message 7 of 31
Established Member

As in go to the other cards pages and it will show if I am pre-approved? And pre approved or expanding...what? Thanks. 

Message 8 of 31
Valued Contributor

@CosmoKramer- wrote:

As in go to the other cards pages and it will show if I am pre-approved? And pre approved or expanding...what? Thanks. 

This only works if you are an existing Amex member. You can click "Apply" on any card and it will tell you if you are pre-approved. If it says "Apply to expand your membership..." then it is not a pre approval.

If you are not a Amex member, you can check with the link below to see what cards you pre approved for.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/check-for-offers/?inav=menu_cards_prequal_offer

Message 9 of 31
Senior Contributor

@CosmoKramer- wrote:

Some of the information posted is misleading; if you are not currently an American Express member, the ability to click on specific cards and see if you are pre-approved for them will not be available to you.  Your options are (1) use the pre-approval page to see which cards you have been pre-screened for and apply for one of them, or (2) cold app for the card you want (Amex Gold) even though you don't have a pre-approval for it.

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.