Did you mean: 

First Tech CU Smack Down

tag
Luxeedee
New Contributor

First Tech CU Smack Down

Loan Type: Unsecured Credit Card

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your loan application with First Tech.  We are unable to approve your loan request at this time.

You will receive a letter within 30 days outlining the reason(s) for our decision.

Sincerely,
Consumer Lending

I saw all the glowing reviews of First Tech CU so I joined last week and applied for a card this week.  I got the smackdown but I don't know why?   Did I apply too soon after joining?  Too many inquiries?  I have 7 in the past year.   I wasted a lot of apps because I hadn't found this board and did not know that different companies have different unspoken rules and expectations.  My FICOs are between 690 and 726. I only have 4 cards with 1% utilization.  I have an Amex Blue, Discover Student IT, Old Navy Sync, and NFCU Visa.  I only applied to NFCU and First Tech this month and my last attempted App spree was back in April.  HELP!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: First Tech CU Smack Down

First Tech is a unique beast.  Could be inquiries or scores, DTI or various other things.  Will find out by AA letter or email soon enough or can certainly give them a call.  Very few have luck with them on this site(mainly due to overall to much credit), the few that do get in with them they First Tech shows them alot of love.  

Message 2 of 7
debtphobe
Valued Member

IMO, I doubt the reason is because you applied too soon after joining. I joined the Financial Fitness Association as was recommended and then applied for the card and then joined (I think that was the order of things). I got approved for a new card and I also had 7 inquiries; my UTI was 6%. Your 1% utilization is great. My FICO score was 730, so not sure what their threshhold is there.

Maybe your income is not high enough for them?? Is your credit history short? Any derogs?

Message 3 of 7
Kidcat
Established Contributor

I think income is definitely an additional factor on which they place a lot of value

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luxeedee wrote:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your loan application with First Tech.  We are unable to approve your loan request at this time.

You will receive a letter within 30 days outlining the reason(s) for our decision.

Sincerely,
Consumer Lending

I saw all the glowing reviews of First Tech CU so I joined last week and applied for a card this week.  I got the smackdown but I don't know why?   Did I apply too soon after joining?  Too many inquiries?  I have 7 in the past year.   I wasted a lot of apps because I hadn't found this board and did not know that different companies have different unspoken rules and expectations.  My FICOs are between 690 and 726. I only have 4 cards with 1% utilization.  I have an Amex Blue, Discover Student IT, Old Navy Sync, and NFCU Visa.  I only applied to NFCU and First Tech this month and my last attempted App spree was back in April.  HELP!

I was just considering First Tech, now I am on the fence. I heard great things about them as you have. I hope you get a second chance. Have you thought about a recon with them? Good luck!

Message 5 of 7
Luxeedee
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Luxeedee wrote:

Dear Applicant,

Sincerely,
Consumer Lending

I was just considering First Tech, now I am on the fence. I heard great things about them as you have. I hope you get a second chance. Have you thought about a recon with them? Good luck!

I haven't because I suspect I need an older credit history.  I only have about 18 months. All my old accounts were paid off so they no longer show on my credit report.

Message 6 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Luxeedee wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Luxeedee wrote:

Dear Applicant,

Sincerely,
Consumer Lending

I haven't because I suspect I need an older credit history.  I only have about 18 months. All my old accounts were paid off so they no longer show on my credit report.

What were the reason(s) cited on the letter @Luxeedee?

If denied for other than verification or resubmitting additional documents, they typically do not reconsider or overturn the denial.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.