Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting my first unsecured CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting my first unsecured CC

@Anonymous wrote:

That was my understanding to with respect to the secured cards. Regarding going to my current bank, I am looking into changing banks soon. My accounts are on the Santander Bank, and the conditions on my checkings are changing in June. 

ksb1, I just make a small charge on the card every month in order to not get over the 3-6% usage (it is not difficult to do it with just a $651 credit limit). So it is usually something like groceries or drugstore purchases. I have seldom used it for a small clothing or cosmetics purchase. I will do as you recommend and check my real fico score and I will get back to you.

Thanks!

U don't need to charge small on card. You can actually charge it max pay and charge and pay u can pay multi times a month. Amex might be out of reach for you since you have such a thin file. Try capital one unsecured card and discover. If get capital one platinum and approved apply for qs1 right after or go qs1 first and apply for platinum right after approval of qs1

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you themanwhocan, those are really very useful links. However, can you solve this doubt for me?

In the How do I play ... post, there is this line:

"Most of the time, just use your card a reasonable amount, let it report, and immediately pay in full. Create that rich, robust credit report that the credit companies want to see."

So, I understand that my card (or whatever card for that matter) will report once a month. When this happens, it is better than you have a relatively low credit utilization on that card, and also that you pay that amount in full before the due date. Is this right? My question comes from Rott161982 comment above: will charging/paying several times a month in the same card affect your credit score? If the company is reporting just once for the amount that is owed in that particular date, how is it to charge/pay multiple times in a month any different from using, let's say, your debit card? Or I am missing something and the CC company will report every movement done in a month?

I am sorry if this questions is completely off topic, but I do appreciate your input very much and I am taking advantage that there is an ongoing subject going.

Again, thank you!

Message 12 of 15
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you themanwhocan, those are really very useful links. However, can you solve this doubt for me?

"Most of the time, just use your card a reasonable amount, let it report, and immediately pay in full. Create that rich, robust credit report that the credit companies want to see."

So, I understand that my card (or whatever card for that matter) will report once a month. When this happens, it is better than you have a relatively low credit utilization on that card, and also that you pay that amount in full before the due date. Is this right? My question comes from Rott161982 comment above: will charging/paying several times a month in the same card affect your credit score? If the company is reporting just once for the amount that is owed in that particular date, how is it to charge/pay multiple times in a month any different from using, let's say, your debit card? Or I am missing something and the CC company will report every movement done in a month?

I am sorry if this questions is completely off topic, but I do appreciate your input very much and I am taking advantage that there is an ongoing subject going.

Again, thank you!

Generally credit card companies only report once a month. Very rare exceptions are sometimes possible, usually if you ask nicely and have a really good reason like a Morgage application that is being unduely affected.

It is better if the utilization that is reported to the credit bureaus is low, both for your entire credit portfolio and for each individual card. However, optimizations of that sort are only really important just before you are going to apply for more credit. It just doesnt matter much if your FICO score drops a few points one month, if you never use your FICO score during that month.

You dont have to pay off a card multiple times a month, though if you are forgetful, that tactic would prevent the accidental reporting of a large utilization. But mainly it would be wasted effort. As its really not much effort at all, its up to you as to whether you want to do that. It can look suspicious if you use multiple payments in a month in order to spend more than your monthly credit limit, ie they gave you the limit in order to limit their liability, and it looks suspiciously like you cannot live within your limits, which can be a red flag.

If you want to optimize your reported utilization every month, you can certainly do that. Once again, its probably wasted effort, but, its also not all that much effort so its all up to you.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Again, thank you!

Generally credit card companies only report once a month. Very rare exceptions are sometimes possible, usually if you ask nicely and have a really good reason like a Morgage application that is being unduely affected.

It is better if the utilization that is reported to the credit bureaus is low, both for your entire credit portfolio and for each individual card. However, optimizations of that sort are only really important just before you are going to apply for more credit. It just doesnt matter much if your FICO score drops a few points one month, if you never use your FICO score during that month.

You dont have to pay off a card multiple times a month, though if you are forgetful, that tactic would prevent the accidental reporting of a large utilization. But mainly it would be wasted effort. As its really not much effort at all, its up to you as to whether you want to do that. It can look suspicious if you use multiple payments in a month in order to spend more than your monthly credit limit, ie they gave you the limit in order to limit their liability, and it looks suspiciously like you cannot live within your limits, which can be a red flag.

If you want to optimize your reported utilization every month, you can certainly do that. Once again, its probably wasted effort, but, its also not all that much effort so its all up to you.

He need to cause his limit is low. Seems like he's charging less on card to keep the reporting balance low. With capital one charge as close to limit as u can on card and pay it off. Pay it multiple times a month and they will increase your credit line. Capital one is actually different. They like u using their card and pay use and pay. I did that when I was rebuilding. I got their 200 secured card and after I got their platinum and QS1 with 500 limit each. I kept charging both cards and paying paid maybe 4-6 times on each card and 2 months later I got increase to 2000 on one and 3000 on other

Message 14 of 15
RonM21
Valued Contributor

It all depends. Cap1 may very well be that way. You get mixed results where you see people will go to the limit on cards and pay off initiating a CLI or more, and you see somw people barely spend and it triggers the same. What is true for both is that keeping the util down is a good idea. At least by the time it reports.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.