cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC Strange bank

tag

HSBC Strange bank

HSBC sent me a pre-apporved credit card app in the mail

I applied and during the process, HSBC asked me questions that I did not know! So like a dummy I guessed!

So, I got denied, called HSBC and told them what had happened, the rep told me "We're not approving applications atm"!??

I'm confused, why send me a pre-approved application, ask questions I don't know, denie me and refuse to take the hp off my credit report!?

I know I shouldn't have guessed on the questions,but how weird

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: HSBC Strange bank

@1500Creditcardsorbust wrote:

the rep told me "We're not approving applications atm"!??

Call back tomorrow.  Only this time, leave out the security questions debacle.....unless asked, then go from there.  Anyway, ask them to plz recode the hp to sp since they solicited you if they won't continue to process your application.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 2 of 7
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry you were on the receiving end of some HSBC weirdness, OP. 

The only time I have gotten something resembling good customer service from them in the last year was when I gave a harsh but honest response to their "how did we do?" survey. A supervisor called me back a few days later to discuss my concerns. There were some things he could fix and some he couldn't, but even that was a big improvement over the frontline CSRs. Maybe you will be lucky enough to receive a survey. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@1500Creditcardsorbust 

I am sorry, but please know that pre-approved offer doesn't mean one will always be approved and be guaranteed to be approved, rather approval is based upon the information contained in your credit profile and in your credit application. Having said that, pre-approved offer means nothing. It's just an invitation to apply. That's all.

Message 4 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@1500Creditcardsorbust wrote:

HSBC sent me a pre-apporved credit card app in the mail

I applied and during the process, HSBC asked me questions that I did not know! So like a dummy I guessed!

So, I got denied, called HSBC and told them what had happened, the rep told me "We're not approving applications atm"!??

I'm confused, why send me a pre-approved application, ask questions I don't know, denie me and refuse to take the hp off my credit report!?

I know I shouldn't have guessed on the questions,but how weird

@1500Creditcardsorbust - since you technically submitted the application, it is considered permissible purpose, hence the HP.  What it sounds like is that you failed the security/verification step which HSBC uses as part of the application process.  BB&T is another bank that uses a similar method, for example.

It's unclear which number you reached as you'd have to contact their new accounts c/s number to find out more information about your application.  Typically, if the verification process is not authenticated the first time, the application denial cannot be overturned.  Moral of the story, never guess if you're unsure about the security questions 🤷‍♂️

Message 5 of 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You should also pull copies of the credit reports from all 3 major CRAs as well as from Innovis along with your Lexis Nexis consumer disclosure report.   HSBC usually HPs from EQ but the major CRAs all rely on miners/aggregators as data sources as well.

If you're being asked questions for which you don't know the answer there could be bogus data included in 1 or more of these reports, it's happened to me before as well. Luckily I correctly guessed the answer they were looking for.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 7
Cory88
Frequent Contributor

Sorry you had an issue with HSBC. I have have a card with then and a cheque account had have had good service when I called for help with my accounts. I have issues with Citi rep and website and others they have no issues so it's unfortunately the luck of the draw i guess.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.