Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC: Worth Reapplying?

tag
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

HSBC: Worth Reapplying?

I recently tried the pre-qualifier tool at HSBC and it showed I was pre-approved for their Cash Rewards MC. I did this on my phone later on in the evening, so I did not ultimately go through with the pre-qual. I tried again twice over the next fews days and it said I could not be pre-qualified. So I threw caution to the winds and did a cold app instead because nothing had changed in my report over those few days.

After I put in my personal information, they asked me about 5 identity verification questions on their website. I passed that and went on to submit the app. I got the 7-10 days message. I later called one of their backdoor numbers I found on here to check on the application and they said it was being handled by the fraud department. They said they would call me back. I had a fraud alert on my report at the time, so this made sense. I was calling to proactively handle the situation. 

Anyway, they called and said they would email me some ID verification forms to upload. They asked for an social security verification form SSA-89 and a copy of my driver's license. I heard back from them about 2 days later and they said I failed the ID verification because I entered different dates for my driver's license issuance and expiration date. This was ultimately my fault, because I had recently gotten a new license and I had the older one scanned into my computer, which is the info I entered when I did the first application. The license number and personal info was all the same, but it was a different card with different dates.

I could re-apply after I get my fraud alert removed (it was put on automatically by Equifax due to a dispute) and see how it goes. But I was wondering if anyone has any experience using them? I am interested in their Cash Rewards Mastercard for the 3% cash back during the first year. I'll also add that HSBC did not pull a hard inquiry on my Equifax report, only soft pulls even though I did submit the application. So I at least did not cause myself an unnecessary inquiry. TIA for your advice!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HSBC: Worth Reapplying?

Its a decent card but a PITA to deal with even without your fraud alert this is normal for them to go through all this stuff and no way to speed it up unless you already bank or have another card with them.. Also their limits arent anything special based on your profile i would guess a 2k limit probably and a HP on EQ..  3% is nice or first year up to 10k, but can be achieved on other cards such as Discover Miles for first year and AOD (permanently), etc..  as mentioned decent card mine sits at 12.5k now one of my lower limits and maxed out the 10k spend for 3% so now just sits idle.  Nothing wrong with the card, just takes a few weeks to get through approval loops and eventually obtain the card.  Up to you if you think it would benefit your profile and spend, etc..

Message 2 of 8
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Hey CC you forgotSmiley Wink

Message 3 of 8
Bestman79
Contributor

We have very similar situations applying for this HSBC cash rewards card. I app'd  for it a day or two After Thanksgiving 2019. I also had fraud alert on my Equifax.  Attempted proactively to speed up verification process so called in 2 days later. Was informed Fraud dept would reach out to me by the 10th day; but could take an extra couple days due to manual review of every app & said they were receiving tons of apps. On to day 12 when finally got the call from Fraud team requesting copy of DL & fill out SSN form After verifying over the phone basic info within my CR. Within 30 mins I sent my info over. I even chatted with a  CSR afterwards to verify forms were received.  Rep states all was good & it could take up 10 more days for review.  Nearly 2 weeks went by & I didn't hear anything so sent IM to frontline rep questioning status of my app/review of docs. After 20 minutes wait time she returned to say my application had been withdrawn by fraud team because I neglected to fill out 2 fields on the form. I exclaimed I thought I would have been told this once at sent an IM verifying the forms were received successfully! Furthermore why did no one reach out to me explaining this. Well long story short is that app was now dead & I was forced to start ALL THE WAY  OVER @ THE END OF THE LINE!! At this point was about 25 days in so of course no turning back at this point.  No one to blame but my self. Least round 2 the fraud team contacted me on day 5. A week later I  got the approval email finally!! Almost 6 weeks (well 4 if I'd fill things out the 1st round) from applying to approval.  Guess I wanted that 3% pretty bad huh. Best of wishes to you on your application but this is the norm for HSBC. At least it is for 1st time customers. 

TCL=$534.9K
Message 4 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Honestly if you want a 3% for a year card I'd opt for Discover Miles instead. They are typically much easier to deal with. As a bonus, no cap on the 3%. I've seen way too many horror stories about HSBC to even consider it.

Message 5 of 8
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I ahve read "horror" stories with just about every lender. YMMV

I have not had one single problem with HSBC.

Both cards were instant approvals  .. no other reason to call in.

CC's work and no declines.

Message 6 of 8
Cory88
Frequent Contributor

I got the cash credit card and a LOC with them and did take me a week and a half to go from app to card at my house but every thing is slow. Opening a deposit account with them took a long time too and was a pain but they have been good so far. Only been with them since Jan 2020.

Message 7 of 8
MrT_521
Regular Contributor

I got the HSBC Cash Rewards a few months ago. I am an expat, and I needed a credit card with PIN and with no foreign transaction fee.

I had no trouble with the application; it went right through. If I have any complaint about it, it would be that transactions take several days to show up in the portal. They don't even show as pending. There is absolutely nothing for about 3 business days.

We sometimes use Capital One QuickSilver. If I am waiting in the vehicle while my wife is in the store, I get a notification of a payment within seconds of her paying. I like it, because then I know that she'll be out soon! Smiley Happy

Personal Cards

Business Cards

Debit Cards

FICO 8 Scores (as of Dec 14, 2022)

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.