cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Comenity VS & Ulta denial. Weird Scores.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with Comenity VS & Ulta denial. Weird Scores.

So a little background on my situation, I have pretty much always had bad/low credit. I never knew how important your credit profile was until the last 5-8 yrs. The only credit card I’ve ever had was one about 12 yrs ago & it was one of those first premier type cards where they take fees off the top & your SL is like $75 (can’t remember the name of card) had a few repo’s a garnishment because of a repo, lots of medical bills and also about 9K in student loans. There was a point in time where I couldn’t even get a bank account! I had been paying for everything in cash & getting by w/ prepaid cards.
Fast forward to the last year & a half. I was able to get a bank account 2 of them actually, heard about the student loan rehab program & just finished that at the beginning of April. Everything has fallen off my report except the student loans (now showing current but also shows the same accounts as negative or “unknown”) & my TU still shows 1 repo. My EX also shows 2 hospital for $115 each. I also have a car loan started in Dec 17 that shows on all 3 reports paid on time for these few months. I started watching my scores since the student loans rehabbed & my scores jumped 100 points to now showing 607-620 FAKO & 628 FICO. I’ve lurked on these boards for many yrs (THANK YOU for all the help) so it seemed I might have a chance w cap 1 so I apped after being preapproved & got the $300 SL. That was on May 1st since then I’ve went on little “spree’s” and have gotten a Kohl’s $300, Maurices $300, and yesterday for a Jared for $1500 & a Kay’s for $1500. During this process I’ve been denied for VS, Firestone, & Ulta. I’m still waiting on letters for Walmart, & Helzberg Jewelers.
My question is (sorry I know long post to get to this question thank you if you’re still reading!) I just got the VS denial dated May 5 stating my score is 209 and no credit history. Huh? I have report screen shots showing my FAKO’s were in the low 600 range & 628 for my FICO on May 3 well then Ulta came yesterday & it’s dated May 7 and says the same thing but has my score as 306. Has this ever happened to anyone? Does anyone know what it means? When I called Comenity they were NO help & told me to just reapp in 30 days. Asked if it could have been a glitch & she said if it was then it was on EX side not theirs. I told her about how I’ve been monitoring & have screen shots of my scores she said well if you have a screen shot from that date send it in with copy of your I.D., SSI, & utility bill w my name. I have monitored through Crdit Seseame, Credit Wise, Experian, & Discover IT sites & paid the extra money on Experian to get my Fico score. Can anyone explain what is happening & also any advice anyone can give on what I should do about this & also to build would be much appreciated. Does anyone suggest anything to apply for next?
If I have posted this in the wrong thread please let me know & I will move it. Thanks in advance for your help!!
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with Comenity VS & Ulta denial. Weird Scores.

Have you looked at your actual Fico scores from all 3 bureaus? Have you also pulled your actual credit reports from all 3 at annualcreditreport? There are additional Fico scores that some lenders use that specifically relate to credit cards called Fico Bankcard Score, which can differ from the regular Fico score, but not by hundreds of points.

Message 2 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Weird numbers indeed. My advice would be stop applying for anymore store cards. Let what you have breathe and growth. In 6 to 12 months your score will be much better and you'll start being able to apply for prime cards. I notice you have 2 jewelry cards and you applied for another? May I ask why?. Seems redundant . You seem to be doing better from years ago, going forward apply for cards that will grow with you and fit your lifestyle, not just cards because you can or think they are easier. Reality is we only really need 3 cards to maximize our scores but the key is to find those cards which work for usSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response. I pulled my annual report in April & got my Fico’s from Ex & Eq but I’ve only seen my fako w TU. I haven’t read much about the bank card score, I will look into that. Yes I’m curious about the difference in points too. I have searched for others that have had this happen but only found one person post about it & theirs was only a couple hundred off not how mine is. Thanks again!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response average Joe the advice is appreciated! The reason I applied for the Jared & Kay’s was to get my UTI limit higher after getting the “were reviewing your app” message from Helzberg (knew it was probably a denial). I’ll admit once I was approved for 1 I was in shock & curious if I would be able to get more. I’ve only apped for places I actually shop or cards I would actually use, but my ultimate goal is to eventually have more prime cards so I am done applying for now. I lurked for many years on how to get here, now I will be lurking on how to keep it AND grow LOL. I’m still curious as to why the big difference in scores tho. I
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many did you apply for all together denied/approved. Whenever you appt for a card, you’re deducting points from your score. I applied for a card that deducted about 20 points at one time so you have to be careful with what you apply for.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.