Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Soon To Reapply After Denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How Soon To Reapply After Denial

Hey everyone,

I applied for a Bank of America Cash Rewards card back in November.  At the time I was denied for 1. Too many cards opened recently 2. Lack of relationship with the bank.  

My current cards were opened Nov 2019, Jan 2020 and Jul 2020 (AU card).  As well as my original card back in 2015.  I'm not sure if it will count but I now have a Merrill Lynch account through my workplace as well (I had just started it when I applied so I'm not sure it existed in their system at the time).

If I removed the AU card will it disappear from my report resulting in a slightly better chance of getting a new card since all the other cards are now over a year old?  I'm not carrying a balance on any of them and my credit score is around 780-800 depending on Experians mood that month.

Thanks for any advice you have!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Soon To Reapply After Denial

Remember it's your entire profile that is looked at and the reason for a denial, not just the denial reason(s) cited.  In addition to allowing more time to pass it's in your best interest to fix/tweak any other profile related areas that you have opportunities with. 

I personally would give it at least 6 months from your denial date before attempting to apply again.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.