cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many hard inquiries is too many for amex?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many hard inquiries is too many for amex?

So I tried looking In the forum for the answers, and just wanted to verify what I've read. Of course I know ymmv.

I have 7 hard inquiries in the last 18 months on experian. There are 2 more on EQ for cards I was denied for get when I didn't have 6 months of revolving history and was denied. but I have heard they pull EX is that correct? 

I tried the pre approval through them and am qualified for just about everything, but not sure how many inquiries are too many. 2 of them are auto and 1 is mortgage. I only have a auto loan currently. I have 4 hard for cards. Does that matter to amex. The newest card is from about 3 weeks ago. But before 3 weeks ago, the HP was about 6 months ago. 

I really want an amex card, but am wondering if  I have too many Inquiries.  Currently I have 769 FICO EX. I have only recently started getting approved for way higher limits since I'm fairly new to credit. 1.5 years revolving history, 1 auto loan and 6 cards. 95,000 Income. 

Should I wait a few months just to be sure? No inquiries will drop-off during that time. I have about $7400 revolving credit and am at 2% usage. (Just reporting a small balance for azeo) 

Well I am an AU on a few others from my SO so I guess I have more than that. 

Would I have a good chance at recon if worst case they deny me? 

Thanks for your help! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How many hard inquiries is too many for amex?

Unfortunately, there is no 'set' number that they go by. It's really going to boil down to your overall profile since some folks could be denied for a combination of low scores, several inquiries/new accounts, etc., while others will not.

If you are pre-qualified, I would give it a shot and see what it yields.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I figured worst case I could try and recon. Do you think it would matter if I wait another month or 2 since this newest card is so new? Thanks for responding. 

Message 3 of 6
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Probably wouldn't make much difference if you waited 1-2 months.   You've got prequals in hand now so might as well go for it especially if that new card hasn't yet started to report to the CRAs.

It's possible to recon an AMEX denial but it it's a process not thought to have a high rate of success.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 6
Trini88
Established Contributor

Before my Amex approval in August:

1) 13 inquiries on Experian 

2) 6 credit cards in less than 6 months

3) 4 credit cards were reporting when I applied

(BOA in March) and (Victoria,Discover and Target in June)

4) I was prequalified for about 7 or 8 cards on their website

Goal Cards:
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

Unfortunately, there is no 'set' number that they go by. It's really going to boil down to your overall profile since some folks could be denied for a combination of low scores, several inquiries/new accounts, etc., while others will not.

If you are pre-qualified, I would give it a shot and see what it yields.

Agree

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.