Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much does authorized users account help when trying to build credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How much does authorized users account help when trying to build credit

I think you are a great parent, i wish everyone in this country who has children would teach their children about the importance of credit....

regardless, congrats to your son and nephew.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

AU accounts help I think only if they asked for SSN when ur adding person and if it's same address (same address part I'm not sure) but I added my 10 year old son and 7 year old daughter to 5 of my accounts about 7 months ago and now they always getting pre qual from citi discover bofa chase. Think they should be good as long as I don't mess up. Can't add someone to Amex until they r at least 15 😜

Message 12 of 17
elim
Senior Contributor

Congrats, That's a lot of credit to manage for a newb    :]     I would definitely stay as support system.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase gave my 18 year old son's best friend  (who isn't in school and has NO job) a $3500 card without any AU. They can't wait to get their hooks in them. I tried to stop him from applying until I was able to look into the best card to get, but he ran off to Chase after talking to me about (possibly) doing it. 

I'll add my son to my cards while he is in school so that he will be ready to fly on his own by the time he graduates. 

Congrats to your son, he has a great support system to get himself a wonderful start in life. 

Message 14 of 17
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

AU accounts help I think only if they asked for SSN when ur adding person and if it's same address (same address part I'm not sure) but I added my 10 year old son and 7 year old daughter to 5 of my accounts about 7 months ago and now they always getting pre qual from citi discover bofa chase. Think they should be good as long as I don't mess up. Can't add someone to Amex until they r at least 15 😜

Wow! 5 accounts and at such a young age. You are opening yourself up to a whole lot of fraud exposure in my opinion. Wouldn't 1 card each when they turned 18 give them the same results? I have two AUs on just one of my accounts and within 3 months they were well on their way to estabilshing a nice credit profile for themselves. At 6 months they had their own cards. It isn't my job as a parent to establish credit for them. Help them? Yes. Do all the work? No. Again, this is just my opinion. Both of them were at least 18 with jobs.

Better hope your kids don't trade one of your cards for a video game! Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

So um a 7 year old and a 10 year old could go shopping with a credit card and so can a 15 yr old. What, I thought they had to be at least 18? No, wow, So what is the legal age to get them started as an AU and does that mean that they could use it or just be added to start learning about credit? My kids don't want to be added but it is good info to know.

thanks.

Message 16 of 17
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So um a 7 year old and a 10 year old could go shopping with a credit card and so can a 15 yr old. What, I thought they had to be at least 18? No, wow, So what is the legal age to get them started as an AU and does that mean that they could use it or just be added to start learning about credit? My kids don't want to be added but it is good info to know.

thanks.

There is no legal age per se. It all depends on the bank issuing the card and, yes, just like they can use cash, they can use a credit card. Might be an issue if they can't produce valid picture I.D. but, come on, when was the last time you were asked to produce I.D. for a credit card purchase? 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.