Did you mean: 

How often to check prequal sites?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How often to check prequal sites?

@Anonymous wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

I'll assume that monthly is often enough...

I know that Chase, Citi, and Cap One have pretty solid pre qual offers...when they show up.

How often do you check?  How often do they update their info?  Does anyone know if they do a soft pull everytime you fill out a prequal request?

I used to check daily until i signed up to receive daily credit report monitoring. Now I can see if and when I am SP'd. 100% of all my preapprovals have came after I seen a SP from a creditor. Comenity SP's the hell out of me even though I have 2 of there cards that I will never use (rewards are better on Bank Cards). 

What monitoring service are you using that provides soft pulls?

Message 11 of 20
Bone35
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

I know that Chase, Citi, and Cap One have pretty solid pre qual offers...when they show up.

How often do you check?  How often do they update their info?  Does anyone know if they do a soft pull everytime you fill out a prequal request?

I used to check daily until i signed up to receive daily credit report monitoring. Now I can see if and when I am SP'd. 100% of all my preapprovals have came after I seen a SP from a creditor. Comenity SP's the hell out of me even though I have 2 of there cards that I will never use (rewards are better on Bank Cards). 

YES...Please do tell Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

About once a week. Interesting note: I had pre approvals for five cards on Citi's site. A week after I got the DC, it was back to "we can't find anything."

Interesting, since the chase prequalification site includes "or you have recently responded to another offer" in the text when no card offers are found. Not unlikely that a lot of other lenders do the same.

Message 13 of 20
Bone35
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

About once a week. Interesting note: I had pre approvals for five cards on Citi's site. A week after I got the DC, it was back to "we can't find anything."

Interesting, since the chase prequalification site includes "or you have recently responded to another offer" in the text when no card offers are found. Not unlikely that a lot of other lenders do the same.

I think CAPTOOL was implying that they update more frequently than some might think, therefor checking more than once a month might not be too much..

By sharing that experience, it helps answer OP's original question.

Message 14 of 20
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Thanks all.  We're hoping to refinance in 2017, so I'm not going to be looking much longer.

Methinks that I will check the pre qual sites 01 June, and maybe again somewhere near the end of June.  We shall see.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 15 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

As a data point, my last baddie dropped off on May 1 (May 4 for TU) and I've checked several times with Capital One, since I'm expecting an offer with a better APR than what they have been offering... so far it's the same offer, though.

I'll also add that for the first time (ever) I received a pre-qual throuh the mail from Citi for Simplicity and the DC (both with a set APR, albeit a high one).  I think these prequal offers were generated before the baddie dropped (and my score increased) but oddly when I check Citi's online site it tells me there's no pre-qual at all.  I might cold-app in a few days or so to see what happens.

I can also add that my pre-qual offer with Wells Fargo is the same as it's always been (high APR) so either my profile still isn't to their liking, or they haven't updated my SP since last month.

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bone35 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think CAPTOOL was implying that they update more frequently than some might think, therefor checking more than once a month might not be too much..

By sharing that experience, it helps answer OP's original question.

Not necessarily an update, but perhaps a data point added to whatever database they are looking at when they generate responses to the prequalifer site.  Ap;ogies, I should have been clearer with my implications. 

Message 17 of 20
Nova5041
Frequent Contributor

Once a month for me, don't know why I check that often either.  It seems to only change every few months.  Lol But it does help with the app cravings! 😊

BK 7 Discharged: 5/30/2018
Fico Scores after Discharge: Experian-552 TransUnion- 490 Equifax- 571
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

I pay for EX, EQ & TU independent of myfico. TU kinds sucks due to not offering a FICO score. Those Vantage scores are demoralizing. 

Message 19 of 20
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I'm with the general thought that a month may be enough. Seems like they don't update more often than a month, in my experience.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.