Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often to request Discover CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How often to request Discover CLI?

I just got my Discover card 3 months ago and requested CLI which was approved.

I'm wondering, how often should I do this?

I know you have to wait 30 days before a CLI is granted, but should I really request once a month?

Would it benefit me to wait it out a little longer?

37 REPLIES 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How often to request Discover CLI?

try calling in to see if they will give you anymore cli its called a double dip and you can request as often as you want but i find for me personally i get one every 3 statements

Message 2 of 38
grower1
Frequent Contributor

Discover seems to be pretty generous with CLI. My short history is as follows:

Opened on April 25th, 2018 $5000 

Credit Limit Increase on July 9th 2018 +1,500 = $6500

Credit Limit Increase on October 7th 2018 +3,000 = $9500

Message 3 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you request the CLI or were they auto?
Message 4 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

My experience with Discover has always been auto, about once a year, they increase it by about 3000

Message 5 of 38
grower1
Frequent Contributor

Mine were all requested. 

Message 6 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened mine in February this year and got my first increase in May. Then got another in July, August and September. None in October though so I guess my monthly increase is over Smiley Sad Good Luck!

Edited to add: My first was auto, all the others I requested. I was able to get a DD by calling in on the July and August ones.

Message 7 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

The general consensus seems to be that there's no harm in hitting the luv button as often as you like. I've requested a CLI every time a statement cuts after the first 90 days and will continue to do so. Others will have more informed input than me, but I've not read anything suggesting that Discover sees frequent CLI requests as a bad thing.

Message 8 of 38
BessTruman
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got my Discover card 3 months ago and requested CLI which was approved.

I'm wondering, how often should I do this?

I know you have to wait 30 days before a CLI is granted, but should I really request once a month?

Would it benefit me to wait it out a little longer?

I got my card in June with a $9500 SL.    I just did an automatic CLI and got $500.   I called to try and get more and they told me I had to wait 30 days.     I may try again in Dec....just before Christmas!        I'm almost at 40% untilization with them.   I'm working on paying it down.   0% interest til Oct 2019!  Sweeeeeet!

Message 9 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

ive been carrying $250/$9000 balance and i havent gotten a CLI in months Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.