Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Increase Amazon Store Card Limit

tag
purplepenguin7
Established Member

How to Increase Amazon Store Card Limit

Amazon gave me a $370 credit limit years ago when my score was about 580 and my income was $60K. Now, it is 694 on experian and 704 on CK with income of $110K. Every month, I pay off the card in full (I hit the limit, then pay it off, usually 2xs a month). I have asked for an increase and been denied. Any other tips? Is it because I had a Ch7 in 2014?

Other cards:

Mission Lane: $2K

Cap One: $3K

Cap One: $3500

Target store card: $900

Wayfair: $1500

Carecredit: $900

I use Amazon for groceries and all other purchases during COVID (I WFH and basically never leave). I pay off all other cards in full each month. I have no other debt except for student loans. I'm in my last month of rehabbing 2 federal loans. The other 3 loans are UTD. 

2010 score: 570
2013 score: 540
Ch 7 filed 11/13
Score 2/14: 625
Score after discharge (late 3/14): 632
Goal: 675 by 2015
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How to Increase Amazon Store Card Limit

Since your current CL is <$10K, you can either requests online or through the automated system.

What does your VS4 score currently display on your Amazon credit card online?  What reasons did they provide the last time you requested a CLI and how long ago was the request?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@purplepenguin7 wrote:

Amazon gave me a $370 credit limit years ago when my score was about 580 and my income was $60K. Now, it is 694 on experian and 704 on CK with income of $110K. Every month, I pay off the card in full (I hit the limit, then pay it off, usually 2xs a month). I have asked for an increase and been denied. Any other tips? Is it because I had a Ch7 in 2014?

Other cards:

Mission Lane: $2K

Cap One: $3K

Cap One: $3500

Target store card: $900

Wayfair: $1500

Carecredit: $900

I use Amazon for groceries and all other purchases during COVID (I WFH and basically never leave). I pay off all other cards in full each month. I have no other debt except for student loans. I'm in my last month of rehabbing 2 federal loans. The other 3 loans are UTD. 

Defaulted SLs can definitely weigh you down. Are the defaults on your CRs or too old to be reported currently? If they are on your CRs, once those are cleared up (probably a couple monsth after the last payment), you will probably have a better score and better results.

Have you tried for any CLIs on the Care Credit? They are also Sync. My SO has been fortunate enough woth a couple defaulted SLs to squeeze some CLIs out of them. I cant imagine why not from Amazon, since they are also Sync. 

So if you get nowhere requesting CLIs, perhaps you will have better luck once SL rehab is done and they are remived from your CRs (if they are reporting).

Message 3 of 7
purplepenguin7
Established Member

The VS4 on Amazon is 662, so that is quite a bit lower than the other models I've been monitoring.

I can't find the denial letter for the CL increase. I last tried over the summer. My score per their model has been 671-625 over the last year. It says the following factors are affecting my score. I don't understand the second one. I make 1 or 2 charges a month (small) on my 3 CCs and don't use Target or Wayfair, and luckily don't have to use CareCredit, every month. I immediately pay off the charges. Is maxing out then immediately paying off the $370 Amazon card hurting me? If so, it's not worth the 5% back and I'll just use my debit card. 

Delinquent or derogatory status on accounts is too recent

You have an account with a payment that was at least 30 days late and/or on which a lender has reported a derogatory status. Your credit file shows that this event occurred too recently. Late payments are a proven indicator of increased risk. People with late payments are at risk of being overextended.

Paying bills on time every month is important to maintaining a good credit score. If you remain behind with any payments, bring them current as soon as possible, and then make future payments on time.

Not enough available credit on revolving accounts

Bankcard accounts include credit cards and charge cards from a bank and are frequently revolving accounts. They allow you to carry a balance and your monthly payment will vary, based on the amount of your balance. The total combined amount you owe on all your bankcard accounts is high, resulting in reduced available credit to use if needed, creating a greater chance of becoming overextended.

Paying down the balances on your accounts will benefit your score.

Ch 7 filed 11/13
Message 4 of 7
purplepenguin7
Established Member

The SLs were reporting as late until I did the rehab program. Now they're reporting the payments I'm making, but the lates are still on there because the program is 9 months total and I'm in month 8 of 9. I can make my last payment Feb. 1 over the phone and request they start the process to get them out of default, which takes a few weeks. So hopefully that will improve my score/reporting in the next few months. The rehab program told me it takes 2 months usually for the credit bureaus to notice the change. 

Thanks for the CareCredit suggestion. I've never had to use it. I applied because my pet was sick, and I was worried procedures would be expensive, but ultimately they weren't too bad and I was able to pay with my debit card. I can call them and ask for a CL increase and that will be a soft pull, correct? 

Ch 7 filed 11/13
Message 5 of 7
purplepenguin7
Established Member

Great news! I decided to try again for a CL increase. I asked for $600, and they gave me $1,150. Thanks for the replies and the suggestion to just try again. 

We are pleased to inform you that, effective immediately,
your credit limit has been increased to $1,150.00.

Ch 7 filed 11/13
Message 6 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on finally getting approved for the CLI @purplepenguin7.  Looks like a little persistence worked👍

Locking this thread as per your updated CLI results.  Feel free to start a new thread in the Approvals section if you would like to do so.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.