Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m done with Capital One.

tag
Trooper2003
Regular Contributor

I’m done with Capital One.

I was trying to get a credit line increase on my capital one quick silver which I have  had for over 2 years with a current credit line of 850.00, which when I started the initial SL was 300.00. It was the first card I started with a rebuilding of my credit. Since then I have gotten a few cards  , my scores started in 580s to now with me equifax is 735, experian is 763 and my Transunion is 780. The last credit line increase I got on my capital one was a mere 100.00 cl in October, which I get that COVID took a toll willing to give capital one the benefit of the doubt. I have 2 discover cards one has a credit line of 13 k the other has 3 k. I have a bbt card cash rewards  of 9k,  4 Amex cards ranging in the 3k cl range, and a Amex gold charge card, and a Penfed powers rewards cash card Cl of 15k. So been trying Cap one a chance spending around 150 to 200 on it every month, always getting the denial after a couple days of submitting the infamous not enough or low usage. So I said ok this last month I put over 1500 .00 on the card paying in in full never carrying a balance, so I was thinking surely they will give me a bump right? Well submitted cl request after my statement cut today. Get the ole we will let you know in 2-3 days of our decision. Their nice way of saying no. Well I'm done with capital one. Going to use all my cash back , and I'm socking the card. Thanks for all the advice guys. Tell me what you think

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I’m done with Capital One.

I think you're in the same boat with the rest of us who have bucketed Cap One cards. 

Capital One is great for giving a chance to rebuilders or those with less than perfect credit but as you can see it comes with a price.

Some prefer to sock drawer, some wait and reapply for a different 3 HP card and some like me can't wait to close the card and be done with Cap One. No hard feelings, just not a lender I'd like to grow with. You do whatever works for your circumstances. GL! 

Message 2 of 13
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

I look at CapitalOne from a different perspective...

Other than the whole three HP thing when you apply (These suggestions or tactics cannot be discussed on here per the myFICO TOS @Horseshoez ), I actually like many of CapOne's products.  Yes, there are other cards which have many of the same or better features than the likes of Quicksilver, Savor, and Venture, but all in all, they are pretty darn good cards, and using the rewards they offer is the easiest and most flexible I've seen, regardless of financial institution.

Regarding the extremely limited CLI thing they have going on; I unwittingly went around it by simply applying for a new card.  Apparently I'm not alone, I've read numerous reports here and elsewhere where they refuse to give a CLI of anything over say, $100 on say, a $500 credit limit card, but then will turn around and approve an application for the same card holder for anywhere from $3,000 to $6,000.  In my case I had one of their secured cards, I closed it, and opened a Quicksilver with a $3,000 credit limit.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 3 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Trooper2003 wrote:

I was trying to get a credit line increase on my capital one quick silver which I have  had for over 2 years with a current credit line of 850.00, which when I started the initial SL was 300.00. It was the first card I started with a rebuilding of my credit. Since then I have gotten a few cards  , my scores started in 580s to now with me equifax is 735, experian is 763 and my Transunion is 780. The last credit line increase I got on my capital one was a mere 100.00 cl in October, which I get that COVID took a toll willing to give capital one the benefit of the doubt. I have 2 discover cards one has a credit line of 13 k the other has 3 k. I have a bbt card cash rewards  of 9k,  4 Amex cards ranging in the 3k cl range, and a Amex gold charge card, and a Penfed powers rewards cash card Cl of 15k. So been trying Cap one a chance spending around 150 to 200 on it every month, always getting the denial after a couple days of submitting the infamous not enough or low usage. So I said ok this last month I put over 1500 .00 on the card paying in in full never carrying a balance, so I was thinking surely they will give me a bump right? Well submitted cl request after my statement cut today. Get the ole we will let you know in 2-3 days of our decision. Their nice way of saying no. Well I'm done with capital one. Going to use all my cash back , and I'm socking the card. Thanks for all the advice guys. Tell me what you think

$200 a month isnt going to move any  needles and a 1 time $1500 pif wont either.  You have better cards , move on imo and  enjoy lifeSmiley Happy

Message 4 of 13
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

I think when it comes to credit card companies, You can't possibly be all things for all people.

American Express for example has an ideal customer.. Capitol one does as well.. File for bankruptcy, in a week get a $3,000.00 credit limit.

Their business model works for them.. You and I are not their primary market with that particular product. 

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 5 of 13
Deeyarht948
Contributor

I Definitly understand where you coming from just recently closed a quicksilver one That's been sitting at 600 for nearly 2 years here's hoping they will send me a preapproved mailer for the regular quicksilver soon 

Message 6 of 13
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

@Trooper2003 I understand your issue with CapOne because I've has the same issue with Chase . . . The only difference is that I've had Chase Slate for 10 years -and- when I didn't have any other good credit besides Macy's. I haven't decided to end the relationship with Chase due to the account age . . . Wishing that CapOne grants you an auto CLI.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 7 of 13
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Deeyarht948 wrote:

I Definitly understand where you coming from just recently closed a quicksilver one That's been sitting at 600 for nearly 2 years here's hoping they will send me a preapproved mailer for the regular quicksilver soon 

CapOne sent me a preapproved offer for a Quicksilver via E-Mail 6-months to the day after I closed a secured Platinum card.  I'm reasonably confident you will received the same.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 8 of 13
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@Trooper2003 wrote:

Hard to figure Cap1 out but I had my QS1 sitting at 750 for 2 1/2 years and boom AUTO CLI for 3000. (after being denied the two times I requested).

Now my Secured card (first in rebuild) on the other hand has been sitting at 700 for 3 years and 4 months.

Message 9 of 13
SPChaser
Established Contributor

@Trooper2003 wrote:

@Trooper2003 Been there, done that. I did get one CLI having heavy use in the card for a SL $2500 or more. Got the CLI back in 2019 and recently requested one in April after being denied in May, so I decided I'm done. I decided I can live with a $3500 CL and dropped it in the bucket. Will use bout every 3 months to keep card active. 

“Play the game, but don't believe in it“
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.