cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting datapoint: turned down for Avianca Vuela Visa, but no HP!

tag
ratchada
Contributor

Interesting datapoint: turned down for Avianca Vuela Visa, but no HP!

So I'm trying to be hopeful about traveling to Asia in December 2021, and to back this up, I booked a trip on Aeroplan (by transferring MR points) recently. In researching return trips, I was drawn to Avianca, and while my return date in mid-Jan. 2022 is not bookable yet, current available awards two weeks prior show some great stuff, like first class on ANA from TPE to SFO for 78,000 points/miles! 

So I got to thinking...why not get an Avianca card, which gives you 40,000 miles just for one purchase. They're also known to give rather high CLs, so I went for it.

First thing they did was a soft pull...I know this from the standard questions on previous workplaces, auto loans, places of residence, etc. Passing through those, I got to income questions, and a request for two recent paystubs, which I submitted.

The next day, I received an e-mail telling me I was not approved (you can see my stats in my profile). Fine, no big deal. But what's interesting to me is, they never did a hard pull! Has anyone else experienced this applying for an Avianca card?

EX (Fico 8): 755 TU (Vantage 3): 815 EQ (Vantage 3): 791
Amex Platinum; Amex Schwab Platinum; Chase Sapphire Reserve $19,800; Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $16,300; Chase World of Hyatt $12,200; Amex Hilton Aspire $11,500; Citi Double Cash $12,300; Citi Business AA Platinum Select $10,400; Citi AA MileUp $7,700; Citi Premier $2,500; Amex Everyday $5,000; Chase World of Hyatt Business $5,500; Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000; Chase Ink Cash $5,000; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business $5,000; Chase IHG Premier $5,000; CapOne Quicksilver One $500
Oldest account: March 2018; Youngest account: July 2023
Store cards: Amazon (Synchrony) $1,000
Goals: EX 760 by middle of 2023
Wanted cards: Barclay Aviator Red; Chase Ink Preferred; Chase Ritz-Carlton
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Interesting datapoint: turned down for Avianca Vuela Visa, but no HP!

No, I got a HP on Transunion.  I didn't get an instant notification of a HP either, but if you use Credit Karma or one of the other similar services like WalletHub you should have seen one within a day if there were a HP.   Stinks you were denied but at least you didn't take a HP for your troubles.

If I were going to take a stab as to why you got a denial one factor would be that your Aspire at $11.5K is currently your highest limit card.  They are definitely not inherently new inquiry/new account adverse - I was at 30+/12 in new accounts when I got my Vuela - but they do like to start on that card with at least a $25K SL.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP - what reasons did they provide on your denial given the request for POI?

Message 3 of 9
ratchada
Contributor

Haven't heard the reasons yet..."coming in the mail," I guess.

Amex Platinum; Amex Schwab Platinum; Chase Sapphire Reserve $19,800; Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $16,300; Chase World of Hyatt $12,200; Amex Hilton Aspire $11,500; Citi Double Cash $12,300; Citi Business AA Platinum Select $10,400; Citi AA MileUp $7,700; Citi Premier $2,500; Amex Everyday $5,000; Chase World of Hyatt Business $5,500; Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000; Chase Ink Cash $5,000; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business $5,000; Chase IHG Premier $5,000; CapOne Quicksilver One $500
Message 4 of 9
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

No, I got a HP on Transunion.  I didn't get an instant notification of a HP either, but if you use Credit Karma or one of the other similar services like WalletHub you should have seen one within a day if there were a HP.   Stinks you were denied but at least you didn't take a HP for your troubles.

If I were going to take a stab as to why you got a denial one factor would be that your Aspire at $11.5K is currently your highest limit card.  They are definitely not inherently new inquiry/new account adverse - I was at 30+/12 in new accounts when I got my Vuela - but they do like to start on that card with at least a $25K SL.

This was on my radar for later this year after your post last week.  Interesting. 
Sorry @ratchada about your decline. I'll be watching for the reasons in your denial letter.  Appreciate you sharing...

Message 5 of 9
ratchada
Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Sorry, I forgot I said I was going to post the reason when it finally came in the mail: they said they couldn't verify my employment!! I attached two pay stubs, and gave them contact info to verify it with personnel, so I don't really know what's up with that. Oh well.

Message 6 of 9
ratchada
Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

This was on my radar for later this year after your post last week.  Interesting. 
Sorry @ratchada about your decline. I'll be watching for the reasons in your denial letter.  Appreciate you sharing...

They said they couldn't verify my employment, even though I work for a major university, gave them the contact info for someone there who could verify me, AND attached two recent pay stubs! So go figure...

Message 7 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@ratchada wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Sorry, I forgot I said I was going to post the reason when it finally came in the mail: they said they couldn't verify my employment!! I attached two pay stubs, and gave them contact info to verify it with personnel, so I don't really know what's up with that. Oh well.

No worries @ratchada.  Thanks for the update on the reasons. 

Interesting they couldn't verify the documents or information you submitted.  I was going to go for this CC when it was the FOTM a few years ago, but passed when I learned some folks were having issues using the card, even overseas.  I believe they eventually fixed things, but my ship had sailed to another port Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 9
ratchada
Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@ratchada wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

No worries @ratchada.  Thanks for the update on the reasons. 

Interesting they couldn't verify the documents or information you submitted.  I was going to go for this CC when it was the FOTM a few years ago, but passed when I learned some folks were having issues using the card, even overseas.  I believe they eventually fixed things, but my ship had sailed to another port Smiley Tongue

Yeah, I think they've lost their chance for my business as well, haha. Kind of hard to justify using up a 5/24 slot for a card tied to a specific airline's miles (albeit one with many useful transfer partners). I think I'll stick with the big boys (AA, etc.).

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.