cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is AMEX Referral application a hard pull on credit reports?

tag
Budoka
New Contributor

Is AMEX Referral application a hard pull on credit reports?

The title pretty much sums it up. I did search the forums before posting but don't see anything that answers my specific question.

I understand that if one already has an AMEX card that a new application for another product/card is not a hard pull if the application is rejected. If that application is approved then it will be a hard pull. 

However, it isn't clear to me if this is also the case when applying through a referral link while logged into your account. Or would it be a hard pull whether if the application is denied because I applied through the link?

I've got the Platinum 100000 MR offer through a referral and am considering applying but wanted to clarify this point before pulling the trigger.

Thanks for the assist everyone.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Is AMEX Referral application a hard pull on credit reports?

You understand several things wrong. 

If you are a previous cardholder that got yourself blacklisted (AMEX IIB, engaged in fraud, or other reason they do not want your business) your application will be rejected without any action taken to assess creditworthiness. 

If you are not a current cardholder and not on their blacklist you will take a HP regardless of whether or not you're applying via a referral link. 

If you are a current cardholder the odds are very good that you will not take another hard pull, but hard pulls can and do happen regardless of approval or failure.    Use of a referral link won't matter here, while odds are it will be a soft pull a hard pull is a realistic possibility.   

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Normally not another HP, but expect one. Be happy if you get a SP.

BTW, A HP is not the end of the world, according to @Gmood1 Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Forgot to mention this but for completeness if you're thinking of trying a self-referral, don't do it.  AMEX used to tolerate it but it got widely abused and once the RAT got involved a wide swath of abusers had their MR clawed back, accounts closed, and added to the blacklist.  It's no longer tolerated. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 9
Budoka
New Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

If you are a previous cardholder that got yourself blacklisted (AMEX IIB, engaged in fraud, or other reason they do not want your business) your application will be rejected without any action taken to assess creditworthiness. 

If you are not a current cardholder and not on their blacklist you will take a HP regardless of whether or not you're applying via a referral link. 

If you are a current cardholder the odds are very good that you will not take another hard pull, but hard pulls can and do happen regardless of approval or failure.    Use of a referral link won't matter here, while odds are it will be a soft pull a hard pull is a realistic possibility.   

Thanks for the reply. But you "read" more into my post than there was.

I thought it was clear that I am a cardholder.

Not sure where the blacklisted and self-referral tangent came from but I guess that is good info to have...but doesn't apply to me.

Your 3rd paragraph answered the question I was asking. Thanks.

Message 5 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Budoka wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

Not sure where the blacklisted and self-referral tangent came from but I guess that is good info to have...but doesn't apply to me.

While @coldfusion may have covered other points that didn't necessarily apply to you, they did also say you misunderstood one key thing:

@Budoka wrote:

The title pretty much sums it up. I did search the forums before posting but don't see anything that answers my specific question.

I understand that if one already has an AMEX card that a new application for another product/card is not a hard pull if the application is rejected. If that application is approved then it will be a hard pull. 

However, it isn't clear to me if this is also the case when applying through a referral link while logged into your account. Or would it be a hard pull whether if the application is denied because I applied through the link?

I've got the Platinum 100000 MR offer through a referral and am considering applying but wanted to clarify this point before pulling the trigger.

The phrase in bold is incorrect. A new application for an existing cardholder is *usually* only a SP, but HPs have been reported before, regardless of whether approved or denied. You can still be rejected AND get a HP.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 9
Budoka
New Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@Budoka wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

While @coldfusion may have covered other points that didn't necessarily apply to you, they did also say you misunderstood one key thing:

@Budoka wrote:

The phrase in bold is incorrect. A new application for an existing cardholder is *usually* only a SP, but HPs have been reported before, regardless of whether approved or denied. You can still be rejected AND get a HP.

Thanks. Did miss that. So "usually" it is a soft pull approved or denied. 

Message 7 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Budoka wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

I doubt he "read" more into your post than needed. He's simply being proactive and being thorough for others who might come across this thread so wrong info isn't passed along.

Message 8 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Please, FSR isn't an optional thing. 

Let's bring it down to a room temperature, and let go of *who understood what wrong* 

Thank you 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.