Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it an approval for my Amex Gold?

tag
youtube1001

Is it an approval for my Amex Gold?

So some back story.

I am from Canada and applied for Amex Green and HH basic cards (one day apart each) using NOVA credit. It was clear and I went through NOVA credit and TU Canada score was obtained. For both apps, I got an email asking to call in for more info. Called in and the address was verified by calling TD bank. Subsequently, both cards were approved and received and SUB were achieved.

About a month after the above approvals, I applied for Gold and again choosing the option that I do not have an SSN and intending to go through Nova credit. However, this time it did not get through Nova credit and resulted in 14 days review message. This was on July 9th.

I called them the Monday after, and have been told to wait a few days as there was a technical glitch with my app. Since then every week, I call and the following were their responses:

1. Technical glitch in that, the back office has to connect my app to my account

2. next week, a rep was about to read out some disclosures, then went back to saying the above no.1

3. next week, another rep went a step ahead and put me on hold for a long time. Called back on my number to verify the phone number, then put my passport number in the system. Then suggested waiting for 3 to 4 days

4. This week, the rep said the same thing, however, after a hold, he came back and told me that the back office is going to prioritize it. He also said, once approved, he put in a request for expedited card delivery. Suggested to wait 72 hours.

5. Received an email that a decision has been taken. However, I can not check online as I don't have an SSN

6. Called again and a rep told me that the app is still pending.

All in all, if they want, they could decline the app and I will be fine without the gold. However, just wondering if this is going to, possibly, end up to be an approval after all.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DONZI
Established Contributor

Re: Is it an approval for my Amex Gold?

Perhaps. Why not?

I'd imagine that it's a bit more complicated to obtain and evaluate data by a USA company when they don't have a social security number to serve as the key to the data vault.

..and, it sounds like that's 3 card applications within a short time. They are interested nonetheless. Maybe it's just an internal thing at this point?

..maybe deciding if they want to use 'lack of current card expeience' or 'too many new cards' -or- deciding how much they want the Gold card fee? Smiley Wink

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@youtube1001 wrote:

So some back story.

I am from Canada and applied for Amex Green and HH basic cards (one day apart each) using NOVA credit. It was clear and I went through NOVA credit and TU Canada score was obtained. For both apps, I got an email asking to call in for more info. Called in and the address was verified by calling TD bank. Subsequently, both cards were approved and received and SUB were achieved.

About a month after the above approvals, I applied for Gold and again choosing the option that I do not have an SSN and intending to go through Nova credit. However, this time it did not get through Nova credit and resulted in 14 days review message. This was on July 9th.

I called them the Monday after, and have been told to wait a few days as there was a technical glitch with my app. Since then every week, I call and the following were their responses:

1. Technical glitch in that, the back office has to connect my app to my account

2. next week, a rep was about to read out some disclosures, then went back to saying the above no.1

3. next week, another rep went a step ahead and put me on hold for a long time. Called back on my number to verify the phone number, then put my passport number in the system. Then suggested waiting for 3 to 4 days

4. This week, the rep said the same thing, however, after a hold, he came back and told me that the back office is going to prioritize it. He also said, once approved, he put in a request for expedited card delivery. Suggested to wait 72 hours.

5. Received an email that a decision has been taken. However, I can not check online as I don't have an SSN

6. Called again and a rep told me that the app is still pending.

All in all, if they want, they could decline the app and I will be fine without the gold. However, just wondering if this is going to, possibly, end up to be an approval after all.

Thanks,

@youtube1001 It would be interesting to see if you're approved.  Amex has at least two rules/guidelines for applications: the "1 in 5" rule and "2 in 90."  Under the "1 in 5" rule, if you apply for two cards less than five days apart, the second application will be held up and not processed until 5 days have elapsed.  The "2 in 90" rules appears to be the one affecting you now...under this rule Amex will not approve more than 2 cards in a 90 day period.  Your three applications appear to be made only one month apart.

The most likely outcome is that the current application will be cancelled and you'll be told to reapply after 30 days.

Message 3 of 5
youtube1001

1 in 5 did not apply much, as I was approved both cards on the same day. Of course, one is a charge card and the other is a credit card.

Maybe it is 2 in 90 that is affecting my app. If that is the case, they could let it lapse and I have no issues for obvious reasons. Rather they give a bit of run around and its time spent on both sides.

Thanks,

@youtube1001 It would be interesting to see if you're approved.  Amex has at least two rules/guidelines for applications: the "1 in 5" rule and "2 in 90."  Under the "1 in 5" rule, if you apply for two cards less than five days apart, the second application will be held up and not processed until 5 days have elapsed.  The "2 in 90" rules appears to be the one affecting you now...under this rule Amex will not approve more than 2 cards in a 90 day period.  Your three applications appear to be made only one month apart.

The most likely outcome is that the current application will be cancelled and you'll be told to reapply after 30 days.

Message 4 of 5
youtube1001

Application declined due to lack of sufficient credit history.

No worries, I am going to wait a bit now.

Thanks,

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.