cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to ask AMEX to consider my AU history when I apply for a new card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any way to ask AMEX to consider my AU history when I apply for a new card?

My credit hasn't been great and in the meantime, I've been using my boyfriend (now ex's) AMEX for my business. We've parted amicably and he's asking me to get my own cards.

I've been an authorized user for two years and used his cards exclusively (he doesn't use them). One is a Delta Platinum with a 10k limit. The other is a Clear with a 7k limit. I pay for them out of my own accounts. 

I've charged and paid off over 150k a year on these cards. Never late. I just made an 18k payment to them.

I know this is unusual, but I'm wondering if there is any way to ask AMEX to consider my history on these cards. I am part of a recent Wells Fargo class action that has given me a charge off. It's supposed to be removed soon but I've been waiting forever. In the meantime, it's tanked my scores. I've got a 642 on Equifax, 593 on TU and 653 on Experian. I don't think I can get approved like that. 

Do you think I should apply by mail? I can hardly find a way to do that but it might be worth a shot. That way I could send in all my history, showing it was my card that changed everything, and the payments came from my bank accounts

Or would it be better to apply by phone and have all that stuff handy? 

Or just apply online and call the reconsideration line? 

Any advice is appreciated. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Is there any way to ask AMEX to consider my AU history when I apply for a new card?

That is a sticky situation there.     I would say wait for it to fall off first, but if you need something asap since he is wanting you to get your own stuff you can see if you can apply online and then call to provide the details and see if they will Reconsider ....time just doesn't seem to be on your side.

Message 2 of 20
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Is there any way to ask AMEX to consider my AU history when I apply for a new card?

@Anonymous wrote:

My credit hasn't been great and in the meantime, I've been using my boyfriend (now ex's) AMEX for my business. We've parted amicably and he's asking me to get my own cards.

I've been an authorized user for two years and used his cards exclusively (he doesn't use them). One is a Delta Platinum with a 10k limit. The other is a Clear with a 7k limit. I pay for them out of my own accounts. 

I've charged and paid off over 150k a year on these cards. Never late. I just made an 18k payment to them.

I know this is unusual, but I'm wondering if there is any way to ask AMEX to consider my history on these cards. I am part of a recent Wells Fargo class action that has given me a charge off. It's supposed to be removed soon but I've been waiting forever. In the meantime, it's tanked my scores. I've got a 642 on Equifax, 593 on TU and 653 on Experian. I don't think I can get approved like that. 

Do you think I should apply by mail? I can hardly find a way to do that but it might be worth a shot. That way I could send in all my history, showing it was my card that changed everything, and the payments came from my bank accounts

Or would it be better to apply by phone and have all that stuff handy? 

Or just apply online and call the reconsideration line? 

Any advice is appreciated. 

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to myFICO

Ugh. I dont think it's going to help your situation because (1) you werent required to make thise payments and (2) your scores are just too low for AmX to consider that kind of request. But ofcourse, this is JMO. 

Look at it this way. IMHO, I believe even if the card had been YOUR card, AmX would have probably closed it down even with excellent payment history due to a decrease in scores. 

As the other poster said, you need to wait until the derogs fall off of your CRs and your scores increase to 700+ before applying for any CC. 

I feel for you because this really is an unfortunate predicament to be in. 

Is there anyone else (family) that would add you as an AU to one of their high CL cards?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 20
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous   Hi and welcome 

Which card are you talking about and have you tried prequal page? 

While your scores are still on the lower end for their revolvers (tho, stranger things have happened), charge cards may not be impossible 

Message 4 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It's an interesting predicament indeed OP. However, AmEx is not known to consider the AU history as part of their review process. Credit decisions are typically automated. So, unfortunately, it's really not up to the agent to make such a decision if you were to call. Potentially an option for reconsideration if declined, but no guarantees.

Echoing the comments above, I would definitely ensure that the negative item gets removed from your CRs before considering taking the plunge on any apps.
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I second @Remedios  suggestion to check for pre-qualification on Amex's website.  Even if there are none, I would still apply since there isn't anything to lose other than a single hard pull on your Experian report.  I know the lending situation has changed over the last few years and credit standards are currently tightening but I was approved for an Amex Blue Cash EveryDay card in 2017 with an EX FICO 8 score of only 644.  I had a 2 yr old late payment to Capital One, 36 late utility payments (WE Energies), and a federal tax lien of $310,000 at the time of approval.  I guess it helped that I had been an Amex member since the late 80's but allowed my credit cards to lapse and they were subsequently closed in good standing.  When I applied there weren't even on my credit report but Amex retrieved my membership history from their internal records.

Amex's online account shows the breakdown of spending by the cardholder and any authorized users, and since you were required to provide your date of birth and social security number to be approved as an AU, they no doubt already have some credit information on you.

Message 6 of 20
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

Hi @moonshinemae ,

Just thinking out loud - it's been a very long time since I've had to file a dispute ... but could you possibly dispute the charge off on each of your CB's? Just the dispute alone, if it does not get deleted temporarily while investigating, may open the door for you to apply. 

You may also want to reach out to the Class Action Administrator for any steps you are able to take legally to challenge the negative notation on your CB's.

GL

[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
TCL $678.5K: Personal $562.5K, Business $116K.
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to echo that the charge should be taken off, but in my predicament, I was approved for the AMEX Gold at a 635 EXP with a paid CO ending a year prior and a 1K limit on a Cap1 card. So with AMEX, all things are possible. As long as income is good, I don’t see why you wouldn’t be approved as long as you have good payment history all around.
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sigh. You are right. Time does not seem to be on my side here. 

I'm hoping I can get the charge off removed before I need to apply. Fingers crossed.

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

No one else can add me, unfortunately. 

I've emailed the class action lawyers to see if they can help speed things up. Thanks for talking it out with me.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.