cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just received invitation to apply to Amex Gold

Azza
Regular Contributor

Just received invitation to apply to Amex Gold

Unbelievable. lol

 

Some of you may know I've been trying to get with Amex for the better part of 3-4 years now. Well today I received my very first mailer from American Express and it was even for the Gold card, which I recently decided I no longer need.

 

LOL

 

So... 75,000 point offer in the mail. Same as the one I was preapproved for on the website. Hmm. RSVP for Gold or Rose Gold on the back of the mailer brochure.

 

What do you guys think...? I'm doing the CSR/CFU/CFF system right now to save for a trip to Hawaii in three years, and I wanted to get the BCP for a grocery card. Definitely interested to hear your thoughts, now that this is on the table as a real potential.

 

-Azza

 

Currently Reporting:



Current Score:

Gardening Started with:


Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
FinStar
Moderator

Re: Just received invitation to apply to Amex Gold

Typically, mailers such as that invite or offer, are pre-screened very far in advance (a month or two sometimes - you'll see a "PRM" SP in your CRs more often than not). That said, both offers appear to yield the same SUB, and if you were to apply online, both Gold/Rose Gold are equally available.

 

Since you've already explored the pre-qualification alternative, that's the one I would try as the most fresh approach -- if you're still interested.

Message 2 of 14
Azza
Regular Contributor

Re: Just received invitation to apply to Amex Gold


@FinStar wrote:

Typically, mailers such as that invite or offer, are pre-screened very far in advance (a month or two sometimes - you'll see a "PRM" SP in your CRs more often than not). That said, both offers appear to yield the same SUB, and if you were to apply online, both Gold/Rose Gold are equally available.

 

Since you've already explored the pre-qualification alternative, that's the one I would try as the most fresh approach -- if you're still interested.


How may I see soft inquiries on myfico? I'm in the credit data and it only seems to show HP.

Currently Reporting:



Current Score:

Gardening Started with:


Message 3 of 14
Remedios
Moderator

Re: Just received invitation to apply to Amex Gold

@Azza  you can get a complete report from 

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

For right now, they allow reports to be pulled weekly.

I'd start with EX. 

 

Message 4 of 14
Azza
Regular Contributor

Re: Just received invitation to apply to Amex Gold


@Remedios wrote:

@Azza  you can get a complete report from 

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

For right now, they allow reports to be pulled weekly.

I'd start with EX. 

 


Hah, I got this

Equifax and Transunion went through fine, though.

 

HAHA waiting is fun right guys Smiley Happy

Currently Reporting:



Current Score:

Gardening Started with:


Message 5 of 14
Remedios
Moderator

Re: Just received invitation to apply to Amex Gold

@Azza when you say you've been trying, were you denied before and for what reason?

 

As far as playing with URs and MRs, you can do both is spend is sufficient. If it's not, you will be diluting it on both sides. 

Message 6 of 14
Azza
Regular Contributor

Re: Just received invitation to apply to Amex Gold


@Remedios wrote:

@Azza when you say you've been trying, were you denied before and for what reason?

 

As far as playing with URs and MRs, you can do both is spend is sufficient. If it's not, you will be diluting it on both sides. 


I tried 3 years ago, I think I had a derog which was bringing me down, causing me to get it removed (it was a BS claim). Then I applied again and had like a 680-700 score and they said no.

 

Last year I applied and, with a 777 score they said no again. I vaguely remember the reasons being my brand spanking new mortgage, credit seeking behavior and age of accounts (aaoa 4yr3mo). I'm at 5 years I think next month. At any rate, I'm almost 800. I might just wait for that delicious 800 score before applying, because I have an expectation that a new LOC will bump me down to 775-780 for a few months.

 

Dunno, I think we're in a good spot right now.

 

As for the UR and MR, hmm. So there is no grocery category for Chase cards, which is super disappointing. The CSR has a grocery bonus right now, like 3x up to $1000 until the end of this month I think, so I am exhausting that. As for dilution, that's part of the thing. If I have the Gold, the only reason I'd use it is for the grocery. Which I believe is 4x. With BCP it's 6x (but only $6k in purchases.) With no category for grocery in Chase's ecosystem except maybe the CFF once in a while, I think I could probably validate the CSP. The Gold is a tough sell now, even with the credits for grubhub and uber eats or whatever they're pitching. But then I look at the trip I'm saving for, and think that if I am spending cash on an annual fee, the 6% cash back would be much more enticing because I could put that towards say, shopping, and the 4x points from MR... well I don't even know what I'd do with those.

 

More advice on MR is requested. I haven't a way to look into them. If I book my flight via Chase for 1.5x multiplier, what might I use the MR points for?

 

Thanks again, your advices are always excellent Smiley Happy

Currently Reporting:



Current Score:

Gardening Started with:


Message 7 of 14
Remedios
Moderator

Re: Just received invitation to apply to Amex Gold


@Azza wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Azza when you say you've been trying, were you denied before and for what reason?

 

As far as playing with URs and MRs, you can do both is spend is sufficient. If it's not, you will be diluting it on both sides. 


I tried 3 years ago, I think I had a derog which was bringing me down, causing me to get it removed (it was a BS claim). Then I applied again and had like a 680-700 score and they said no.

 

Last year I applied and, with a 777 score they said no again. I vaguely remember the reasons being my brand spanking new mortgage, credit seeking behavior and age of accounts (aaoa 4yr3mo). I'm at 5 years I think next month. At any rate, I'm almost 800. I might just wait for that delicious 800 score before applying, because I have an expectation that a new LOC will bump me down to 775-780 for a few months.

 

Dunno, I think we're in a good spot right now.

 

As for the UR and MR, hmm. So there is no grocery category for Chase cards, which is super disappointing. The CSR has a grocery bonus right now, like 3x up to $1000 until the end of this month I think, so I am exhausting that. As for dilution, that's part of the thing. If I have the Gold, the only reason I'd use it is for the grocery. Which I believe is 4x. With CSP it's 6x (but only $6k in purchases.) With no category for grocery in Chase's ecosystem except maybe the CFF once in a while, I think I could probably validate the CSP. The Gold is a tough sell now, even with the credits for grubhub and uber eats or whatever they're pitching. But then I look at the trip I'm saving for, and think that if I am spending cash on an annual fee, the 6% cash back would be much more enticing because I could put that towards say, shopping, and the 4x points from MR... well I don't even know what I'd do with those.

 

More advice on MR is requested. I haven't a way to look into them. If I book my flight via Chase for 1.5x multiplier, what might I use the MR points for?

 

Thanks again, your advices are always excellent Smiley Happy


What do you mean by CSP being 6x for groceries? 

Message 8 of 14
Azza
Regular Contributor

Re: Just received invitation to apply to Amex Gold


@Remedios wrote:


What do you mean by CSP being 6x for groceries? 


ugh, I mean the BCP. I am exhausted. D:

Currently Reporting:



Current Score:

Gardening Started with:


Message 9 of 14
Remedios
Moderator

Re: Just received invitation to apply to Amex Gold

So, you got invitation to apply for Gold (earning MRs), but you're also talking about BCP (which earns cash back), while comparing  both to Chase cards?

If travel is your goal, BCP wont help. 

 

 

 

 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.