Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvel MasterCard CLI Denied

tag
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Marvel MasterCard CLI Denied

So I got my card today after reading all of the great posts on great increases when they got the card.

I had suggestions to ask for more since my limit was $2k and I was also told because I have a couple other Synchrony cards to just let it rest for a few months.

Well, if they are going to send me a blue envelope then so be it.

So I just got off the phone. Called the Credit Solutions # I have always used for my limit requests.

She went through the whole question thing then came back and said she couldn’t work on the card and transferred me to Marvel CreditSolutions. Had no idea they had their own.

So she just right away said my account wasn’t eligible at this time and I’ll get a letter.

I guess a TU of 785 is only eligible for $2k.

Maybe when I get to 850 they will change their minds Smiley Tongue

Has anyone had this happen to them and if so, can you please tell your story so I know what to expect?

Thanks again, guys and gals! Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Marvel MasterCard CLI Denied

Yes, I was denied when I first got my card. Not a big deal. Use it for 90 days and then request on line. You'll get that CLI.
Message 2 of 16
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

I think there is a major clamp down going on with synchrony these days. I started a thread a couple weeks ago regarding this. My TU like yours had recieved a nice bump and it had been several months since I had asked or received a cli on my Lowes & Amzon cardsso my thinking was no harm no foul in asking for a significant bump and they wouldn't even counter offer on either card. I will usually always get a counter. This leads me to believe something is going on behind the scenes we just don't know about.

It usually works like this: So as our TU score goes upward the more generous synchrony usually are with our profiles improving.

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 3 of 16
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Thank you both!

Synchrony just gave me an $11k increase on my CareCredit.

Gmood1 - were you transferred like I was?
Message 4 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Yup.. Marvel uses a US based UW. They are more stringent than Sam's, Walmart and Lowe's UW.
Message 5 of 16
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@Gmood how long did it take you to get your Lowes up to $35-36k level? Do you put a lot of spend through it? 

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 6 of 16
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@ Total80sKid I am wondering perhaps if they are using an older version of a sp for the decision? I know my Fico updated on the 5th on all synchrony sites an it has my score lower than it presently is now.

Message 7 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@credit_endurance wrote:

@Gmood how long did it take you to get your Lowes up to $35-36k level? Do you put a lot of spend through it? 

Hi, it took about two weeks if I remember correctly.

I did buy a washer and dryer on it when I apped for the card in store. Roughly $1500 purchase from the start. I called in from the store and they bumped it from $6000 to $20,000. After I received the card I requested $30k and realized it would probably grant the entire$35k. I went right back in a bumped it to $35k.

Message 8 of 16
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

@bruisedcredit

When they do a SP it’s not current? Just the one we get like on Amazon?

Just checked my score on Amazon and it was pulled 9/5 and it’s 732.

It’s 785 on myfico 8.

I’d imagine those extra 50+ points would help my request.

I think I’ll wait like gmood1 said and give it 3 months, maybe even 6.

Oh and @gmood1 - when you got your letter after being denied an increase, what was their reasoning?

Thank you again for the help! Much appreciated.
Message 9 of 16
NateW1269
Established Member

My wifes's experience with this was just the opposite.  She got approved for $1000 SL and she was okay with that but 3 days later got an alert from her credit monitoring telling her that there was a new account and credit line was $3000.  She thought it was a mistake so she called to check on it and sure enough they had increased her CL before the card was even issued.  Her TU at the time was 725.  She's had the card since Dec but my CL has only gone up once since then at roughly the 6 month mark.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.