Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NASA Federal Platinum Advantage Rewards CC

tag
dunsplus
New Contributor

NASA Federal Platinum Advantage Rewards CC

received a letter today stating i was pre-approved. read the letter and it seems to have a good 11.9%for life balance transfer which would be alot better than what i have on some other cards.
never heard from them and little info i could find was mixed reviews at best.
the apr for purchases would be 12.5%- 17.99% which is alot better than what i have on my current cards now.

i have finally taken control of my spending and using cc. i have brought down my credit utilization from 90% to 35% thus my score has gone from 580 to 640.
i hope to bring my utilization down to 20% in next couple of months which should bring up my score even more.

so im wondering if i should wait till my score is atleast 700 before getting any new cc with better apr than i could get now with a 640 score
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: NASA Federal Platinum Advantage Rewards CC

Are you a member? If its not needed, waiting for better scores could prove fruitful.
Message 2 of 14
dunsplus
New Contributor

not a member but you can join for free it states. i would like to wait for my score to improve but that is a good deal also
Message 3 of 14
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I'd app for the card after you join NASA. Be aware they use an old EX FICO mortgage scoring system for apps.

The less inqs or new accounts you have before applying. The better your chance of an approval.
Message 4 of 14
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Have one word for Nasa... (censored)... Or in a more polite word.. Quack!

(search on the Duck card for a better explanation)

Message 5 of 14
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

NASA was not ready for the myfico effect...

however they do have a nice card.... they offer 3 card types...

9.9% Balance Transfer for Life is a good offer... 

They also will conside consolidating debt... so if you have 30k of debt... and are going to consolidate it... make sure you let them know... they will 'back out' the payments for dti 

Message 6 of 14
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:
I'd app for the card after you join NASA. Be aware they use an old EX FICO mortgage scoring system for apps.

The less inqs or new accounts you have before applying. The better your chance of an approval.

About a year ago, I called NASA-FCU and asked about the Star Trek cards. I told the CSR I didnt want to give a HP to join just to app for the card and get declined with yet another HP.  The CSR suggested that I app directly for the card without joining. If I was approved for the card, then I would have to app for membership. But at least this way, if I was denied for the card, it would have only cost me 1 HP

Lets keep in mind

a) this was a year plus ago

b) the CSR might have been wrong

I would suggest calling and see if the above info is current. 

Good luck

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 7 of 14
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

App For Membership Online... You may get a soft pull on EX and Chex....

The Credit Card will be a HP

Message 8 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Im 0-2 trying for this CU, they just seem too backward to try 3 times. First time the app process and communication was so slow i canceled my app, second time, i did everything right, thought we were on same page , and they still found a way to not honor what they wrote so i said no thanks. I guess if its local it may be worth a shot but out of state, not for meSmiley Wink Quack QuackSmiley Happy
Message 9 of 14
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

They have really changed there online systems recently.... much more user friendly

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.