cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU More Rewards Approval Odds?

potential_image
New Contributor

NFCU More Rewards Approval Odds?

Just got accepted into the NFCU and I am interested in applying for their more rewards credit card, are my odds okay or should I wait longer?
Data Points:
FICO scores: EX:732 | EQ: 733 | TU: 728
Cards:
- Discover Student: CL: 1,600, Aug, 2019
- Amex BCE: CL: 6,000, July 2020
- CFU: CL: 6,200, Sept 2020
- Amex Amazon Biz: CL: 10,000, Sept, 2020
AAoA: 9 Months
Oldest Card: 1y5mo
Last HP: 4mo
Income: 25k I'm a student so it's not that high
 
Do you know if they're inquiry sensitive and I should wait until 6mo or should I be okay to apply and get it now?
 
Also, I've heard they're conservative for CLs on your first card, (I've read got like ~1k for theifr first card but then like 10k+ on their second) Should I get another card first that will give me a lower CL and then go for the more rewards second when they know me better and I can get a higher CL? Or if I request a CLI for my first card they'll increase it a lot.
 
I want to get their more wards but should I apply for that now or wait?
Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Scores:

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
blindambition
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: NFCU More Rewards Approval Odds?

They will pull TU 9, and your TU 8 is good. I'm sure you'll have no problem. Don't be surprised on low limit on first card. Possible for a $500-$1k limit. Some recent DP have shown successful recon on initial low limits.

Navy is usually concerned on DTI, but not new accounts, or inquiries.

Message 2 of 9
potential_image
New Contributor

Re: NFCU More Rewards Approval Odds?


@blindambition wrote:

They will pull TU 9, and your TU 8 is good. I'm sure you'll have no problem. Don't be surprised on low limit on first card. Possible for a $500-$1k limit. Some recent DP have shown successful recon on initial low limits.

Navy is usually concerned on DTI, but not new accounts, or inquiries.


How do I find my TU9? I use Experian for my credit scores.

And sounds good! How do I calculate my DTI? I don't have any bills, loans, mortgages or anything like that, so I don't think it'd be high. You say successful recon on initial low limits, does that mean people called right away and asked or waited a few months and called for a CLI? I've seen mixed responses when I googled if their CLIs are hard or soft pulls.

Would they maybe not apply since I just opened my account today? I am waiting for the trial deposits to go through to transfer money in

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Scores:

Message 3 of 9
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU More Rewards Approval Odds?

@potential_image     I would wait until after your deposits go in.     CLI when asked online are typically SP (no call or email) your cards you currently have still play in your DTI if you want to I believe CreditSesame is still free?!    But that is who I use to see a quick DTI since they provide that and it's pretty accurate Smiley Happy      If you are wanting to know about the RECON you can call right away and ask or email but sometimes that results in another HP, remember Cards initially will be HP, CLI possibly SP when asked under your NF card request CLI button Smiley Happy










Message 4 of 9
potential_image
New Contributor

Re: NFCU More Rewards Approval Odds?


@Girlzilla88 wrote:

@potential_image     I would wait until after your deposits go in.     CLI when asked online are typically SP (no call or email) your cards you currently have still play in your DTI if you want to I believe CreditSesame is still free?!    But that is who I use to see a quick DTI since they provide that and it's pretty accurate Smiley Happy      If you are wanting to know about the RECON you can call right away and ask or email but sometimes that results in another HP, remember Cards initially will be HP, CLI possibly SP when asked under your NF card request CLI button Smiley Happy


Gotcha, thank you! I am only depositing about 1k in my savings and maybe about 200 in my checking. I want to show activity, but I also want to keep a majority in my main savings account.

Once my deposits go in do you think I'm safe to apply or should I wait for the 6mo? Scores alone do you think I'm good too?

Also, do you know how their recon works, are they likely to turn a denial if you call?

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Scores:

Message 5 of 9
850Dreamer
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU More Rewards Approval Odds?

@potential_image , You will be approved. Limit will likely be fairly small. Consider applying for cashrewards and then in 3 months getting a much bigger limit on the more rewards as long as you show responsible usage. That's what I would do personally. 


FICO 8 Scores

FICO 9 Scores

Inquiries (12/24): EX: 4/6 | TU: 2/4 | EQ: 1/1
New Accounts (24 months): 7
Goal Cards:


Scores started in low 500's | Total CL's: $36,900 | Signature last updated 3/5/2021
Message 6 of 9
potential_image
New Contributor

Re: NFCU More Rewards Approval Odds?


@850Dreamer wrote:

@potential_image , You will be approved. Limit will likely be fairly small. Consider applying for cashrewards and then in 3 months getting a much bigger limit on the more rewards as long as you show responsible usage. That's what I would do personally. 


I don't think I'd be able to hit both SUBs and I'm trying to only get one card to get another Chase card down the road. Do you think I'd be able to just get the MoreRewards now and then just request a CLI in 3mo and have the same outcome? 

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Scores:

Message 7 of 9
850Dreamer
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU More Rewards Approval Odds?


@potential_image wrote:

@850Dreamer wrote:

@potential_image , You will be approved. Limit will likely be fairly small. Consider applying for cashrewards and then in 3 months getting a much bigger limit on the more rewards as long as you show responsible usage. That's what I would do personally. 


I don't think I'd be able to hit both SUBs and I'm trying to only get one card to get another Chase card down the road. Do you think I'd be able to just get the MoreRewards now and then just request a CLI in 3mo and have the same outcome? 


If you are keeping new accounts low for the sake of Chase then by all means just apply for the more rewards. You can still do a soft pull CLI after your 3 statement comes out. Most people i've seen get much higher starting limits with their second card so I just wanted to make you aware of that. Good luck with your app! I'm a huge fan of the more rewards and it is my daily driver.


FICO 8 Scores

FICO 9 Scores

Inquiries (12/24): EX: 4/6 | TU: 2/4 | EQ: 1/1
New Accounts (24 months): 7
Goal Cards:


Scores started in low 500's | Total CL's: $36,900 | Signature last updated 3/5/2021
Message 8 of 9
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU More Rewards Approval Odds?

@potential_image     I think score wise you are fine indeed they like to see 700 and up and from what I was told more easily approved (even if you start out small don't worry they will treat you right if you do them right) Smiley Very Happy        And if you do plan on doing two cards do whichever you want to be the LARGER card second as like mentioned your first card will likely be a low SL and sometimes a second card can provide a larger or Large SL ^^










Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.