Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU - New Member/CC Offer Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU - New Member/CC Offer Question

Hello!

I am super new to this forum (just started an account today!). 😀 But, I also just became a NFCU member today as well. Finally got my online banking set-up as well. My (hopefully easy) question is, for those who found NFCU CC offers, where did you find them and how did they present themselves?

Hope that question makes sense!

Thanks! (and will work on getting my profile updated in my signature).

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU - New Member/CC Offer Question

Welcome. From what I've read (And there are some threads on this) the pre-approval with Navy isn't solid like Disco or Amex generally tends to be. Good luck!!

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 9
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

You don't need an offer to apply for a credit card from Navy, in case you were wondering about that.

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 3 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

When you log in, near the top of the page, between "statements" and "messages".

@KatSoDak wrote:

You don't need an offer to apply for a credit card from Navy, in case you were wondering about that.

In the past, having an offer meant a higher likelihood of approval. Have no idea if that's still the case because people just cold app now.

Message 4 of 9
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Greetings operationovercat ~ Welcome to the forum . . . My daughter and I both joined NFCU via my veteran hubby, we received no CC offers -but- we both went to the credit card products and applied for the Go Rewards Mastercard -and- were approved. It's a great CU and you will enjoy the benefits. I'm going for the NFCU Flagship soon. Smiley Wink

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 5 of 9
USMC_Winger
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello!

I am super new to this forum (just started an account today!). 😀 But, I also just became a NFCU member today as well. Finally got my online banking set-up as well. My (hopefully easy) question is, for those who found NFCU CC offers, where did you find them and how did they present themselves?

Hope that question makes sense!

Thanks! (and will work on getting my profile updated in my signature).

Welcome aboard to both Navy Fed and MyFICO forums!

To answer your question, I received an email from Navy Fed inviting me to apply for a cashRewards CC with 0% APR for 6 months, $150 SUB, a promo code, and an expiration date nearly 4 months later.  It was just an invitation, not a pre-approval.  At the time, I didn't have a FICO score, so I figured I had zero chance of approval.

Over the next 3 months, I saved up $1,000 that I could afford to let sit in an account for up to 2 years for a secured CC to graduate (at that time, Navy Fed required a minimum $500 deposit and first checked for graduation at 12 months, not the current $200 and 6 month minimums).  I checked the Navy Fed pre-approval web page.  Not surprisingly, I was only pre-approved for the secured nRewards CC, so that's what I applied for.  It went under review, and I was approved 5 days later, which was still 10 days before the expiration date on my email invitation.

FICOs:

Message 6 of 9
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@babygirl1256 wrote:

Greetings operationovercat ~ Welcome to the forum . . . My daughter and I both joined NFCU via my veteran hubby, we received no CC offers -but- we both went to the credit card products and applied for the Go Rewards Mastercard -and- were approved. It's a great CU and you will enjoy the benefits. I'm going for the NFCU Flagship soon. Smiley Wink

That's great. How soon after one becomes a member can they apply for their credit products?

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 7 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@SOGGIE wrote:

@babygirl1256 wrote:

That's great. How soon after one becomes a member can they apply for their credit products?

Right away.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 9
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous Welcome and congrats.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.