Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU cards?

tag
krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

NFCU cards?

Looking for tips from people familiar with Navy Federal. I joined today after hearing good things about them and opened checking and savings. A preapproval for an auto loan appears intermittently in the “offers” section when I log in to the site.

I might be interested in 1 or more of their credit cards. My current score is right around or just above 700 with utilization between 2 and 5% depending on which bureau is pulled.

Based on some data points I’ve seen, I shouldn’t have a problem getting approved for any of their cards? Just curious what their underwriting standards are across cards and what SL I might expect.

Thanks for any insights!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU cards?

DW just approved for Plat - HP Tranunion 

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@krmurrayjr10 wrote:
... Just curious what their underwriting standards are across cards and what SL I might expect ...

Many are called. Many are chosen. 

Go for it. You won't be sorry.

Message 3 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

The scores hold less weight with them verses your DTI ratio. It's possible to get a 5 digit SL/ best rate  with low 600 scores.

One of my family members had a 580ish TU and got a 15k SL another had a 602 and recieved a $17K SL.

Message 4 of 16
Medic981
Valued Contributor

NFCU is very relationship driven. Yes your FICO score is considered, however, your history with NFCU is highly influential in their UW. I have read that if you burn NFCU, it is near impossible to get back into their good graces. Conversely, once established, they will trust you until you give them a reason not to trust you. Of course YMMV.

I joined in September and moved all my checking, savings, direct deposit to NFCU. I applied for a CLOC within a week and was given a $1,000 CL after asking for $15,000. Eeeeh... it is what it is, I thought.

The beginning of November, Chase Bank and I didn't see eye to eye when I wanted their Southwest Airlines Premier CC, so I thought "what the hey!" and applied for the Flagship Rewards CC. NFCU approved me instantly for a $25,000 SL. I think my heart skipped a beat or five (sinus pause for you @FireMedic1 if you are reading this) when I read that. Never thought that I would receive that amount after the $1,000 SL on the CLOC.

So to answer your question... your guess is as good as mine as to what your SL might be. As I said before, YMMV! Perhaps other better informed and more experienced NFCU members of the forum can answer that. 

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gmood1

The scores hold less weight with them verses your DTI ratio. It's possible to get a 5 digit SL/ best rate  with low 600 scores.

One of my family members had a 580ish TU and got a 15k SL another had a 602 and recieved a $17K SL.

Not for me GMood - I have 0% debt on a 6 figure salary and only got $1k with over 700 EQ FICO 09. Maybe my 18 lates shrunk my chances from 4 years ago 

But I don't doubt you 

Message 6 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Gmood1

Not for me GMood - I have 0% debt on a 6 figure salary and only got $1k with over 700 EQ FICO 09. Maybe my 18 lates shrunk my chances from 4 years ago 

But I don't doubt you 

I was referring to scores in general. Now if you have a bunch of lates. That could be a different story. lol

NFCU's algorithms are all over the map with these approvals and denials. I've seen folks in the 800's get sub $5K SLs.

There's really no rhyme or reason to how they approve people.

I'll never forget the fellow with a half million a year income and 800 scores that was denied. They did eventually let him in with a $1K SL. lol

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I got my cards in 2016, my scores were in the 600s. I also had about 3 collections. I was approved for the goRewards for $23,700. And I was approved for the $15k CLOC, after sending in documents.

Message 8 of 16
RonM21
Valued Contributor

to add to the data points I guess, in June of 2016 I got in with NFCU and got a gorewards card with 19K+ limit. My scores were right near 700 I believe and I still had five 30 day lates reporting from a paid car loan from 2010 that Santander took over (which was the cause of my lates - long story). So I guess I had kind of a mixed bag with my approval.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Yup I still had a foreclosure reporting on my TU when I was approved for the GoRewards. Score was in the mid 600's. SL was $17.5k if I remember correctly. With a 15xx apr. Last year a CSR looked up my score and lowered my APR to the lowest they offered at that time.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.