Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Just Won't Touch Me

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal Just Won't Touch Me

@creditmonger wrote:

Why not wait til your score gets closer to 650 or so and apply for a modest installment loan just to get your foot in the door?

I guess that's what I'll have to do. I'm just getting frustrated because it feels like they aren't listening to me when I write to them. They just regurgitate the stuff about the system making the decision based on score, and they paste the stuff that was on my letter.

But they don't actually look at my credit file or pay attention to what I've said. It's like I'm getting a lazy employee every time or something. 

This is what the most recent denial said:

NUMBER OF INQUIRIES ON CREDIT BUREAU REPORT     

6 on TU in 2017 I believe. 4 are Navy Federal. There are about 18-20 total on each report, the majority from car shopping, and the majority are from late 2015 through 2016. I explained this.

LIMITED CREDIT EXPERIENCE     

I explained to them I have several good accounts that are closed now that were all paid as agreed and are all still showing on my reports. They were all installment loans, never any lates, and the oldest is 4+ years. They don't seem to look at my credit report at all.

UTILIZATION OF BANKCARD CREDIT LINES IN LAST 12 MONTHS   

One of my bank cards was high, yes. The other one not so much. What do they expect when my limits are insanely tiny? I could buy a Coca-Cola and use 99% of my limit. LOL (Okay, maybe not that bad, but still, one emergency bill and it's almost entirely used up.)

RATIO OF ACCOUNTS OPENED IN LAST 24 MONTHS TO ALL ACCOUNTS

I do have several new accounts this year, and I got most of them because Navy denied me by telling me I didn't have enough accounts. Several of my "new accounts" are AU accounts for which I am not financially responsible, and they report as such on my report. So I don't have nearly as many accounts as they claim I do, and they don't even seem to look at this.

They've also given cards to people who have much newer profiles and way more new accounts than I do. They've also been very generous to a lot of people on recon. They just don't seem to pay any attention to me at all. Just cut and paste every time.

I wish they had a feedback system like PenFed.

I even asked to have this escalated to a supervisor, but once again I literally just got a copy-paste of my denial that they sent last time. Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 24
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

There's nothing so singularly spectacular about Navy Federal that makes it worthwhile to keep trying to get in with them, at the expense of looking elsewhere instead to find someone else more willing to work with you. Think of it almost like dating, you're looking for someone else with mutual interest.  Smiley Very Happy

You have a nice pattern of score increases over the last 4 months, so IMO you might want to consider gardening for 2-3 months and using the time to make sure your utilization numbers are in as good a shape as you reasonably can, let your scores increase a bit more, and research the best 1-2 cards that you want to apply for.  That would include looking at the creditpull database to see where the issuers typically pull from so you have 2 options that usually pull from different CRAs.  App for the first card, if denied consider apping for the 2nd.

If you time it right you should be able to app before your credit reports reflect increased spending you might have from Christmas shopping.

Someone else might chime in with a better idea than mine,  but the most important part here is that you need to have a plan that you can work with.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on your other post, I would say you're in a dangerous situation based on what you've disclosed and NFCU is aware of it using their internal scoring.

You mentioned you're 6 months into a rebuild but had to charge max limits of only $500 due to emergencies.

This is a warning to creditors to monitor your profile. High utilization and no emergency savings account means your rebuild is in danger as well.

I would suggest halting new apps until you have your balances to AZEO and have at least one month's worth of emergency cash saved.

Have you ever overdrafted at NFCU or had a payment declined? Ever?
Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Based on your other post, I would say you're in a dangerous situation based on what you've disclosed and NFCU is aware of it using their internal scoring.

You mentioned you're 6 months into a rebuild but had to charge max limits of only $500 due to emergencies.

This is a warning to creditors to monitor your profile. High utilization and no emergency savings account means your rebuild is in danger as well.

I would suggest halting new apps until you have your balances to AZEO and have at least one month's worth of emergency cash saved.

No, I haven't had any payment issues at Navy at all. They see my income coming in every month, and I have never overdrafted or anything. I also move a lot of my husband's paycheck over every two weeks to pay rent and bills, so they're seeing quite a bit of money coming through.

I'm working on bringing my balances down. So far I've brought my secured Discover down from $170/$200 to $0/$200. BofA from $463/$500 to $406/$500. I paid off two store card completely, and brought the balances down a bit on the others. None of my store cards is above 30% utilization except Fingerhut, which is about 50% at the moment.

I'm also currently AU on my son's $8,300 NFCU card, which has never had any late payments or anything. We have the same address, and it shows on my credit report. I wish that would buy me some points. LOL 

But he's just gone crazy with his spending the last couple of weeks, so I'm going to have to have him remove me as AU so his util (near 50%) doesn't drag mine down when I've been working so hard to lower it.

For now I'm just trying to put as much money as I can into bringing my balances down.

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Speaking of not having savings for emergencies, I read recently that 49% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck, so I'm surprised how many people actually are able to get credit. For nearly half of Americans, one financial emergency would break them.

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

High utilization on one card during rebuilding is a red flag. On more than one card is worse.

Navy Fed doesn't hate you, you're just a high risk. Thin young credit profile with many maxed out accounts is danger mode not just for creditors but for your rebuild.

Just garden now, pay down debts accumulated during your rebuild, put savings away for future emergencies and apply after you've gotten there. I'm sure you'll be approved after that.
Message 16 of 24
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was thinking the same thing and agree with ABCD. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

So using 25% of my current credit even though I’ve never been late on any of it is worse than all the people who get accepted with lots of collections and 90-day lates? That doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who seems more risky today?

Someone with 2 year old late payments but 2% current usage or someone with no credit history before 6 months ago but is already at 96%?
Message 19 of 24
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess I'm giving up on Navy Federal and moving my direct deposits back over to BofA.

I've tried five times to get a card with them, and even after drastically improving my scores, I still got a no just now. I see people all the time getting approved with seemingly far worse profiles, but they just refuse to even give me a chance. I feel like I'm being discriminated against, although I'm certain that's not really the case.

They always pull TU for me. I have 3 collections on TU (all around 2+ years old, 2 are medical), 600+ score, lots of accounts paid as agreed, 19-25% utilization, only 6 or 7 inquiries in 2017.

I've been denied most recently for high util (huh? 19% is high enough to deny me?) And for inquiries (6 or 7 and 4 are Navy Federal!) And for new accounts (10 this year, but also have a number of AU accounts.)

I already have two secured cards, and I don't have $500 to fund one.

I just don't see any point in continuing to try with them. I could garden and try again in a few months, but at this point I'm so discouraged I really don't like them at all and I don't think I ever want anything with them now. Seems like they approve 95% of the population, but not me.

At this point I feel like giving up on my credit entirely, as only store cards will touch me without a security deposit

Tara, based on your other posts, you really should consider gardening for a minimum of 12 months. I think you should both stop applying for credit and get you UT to under 9% on one card and 0% on other cards. You may not think 19% is high but it is high if everything else in one's profile is not strong. IMHO, you should try and get those collections either paid off or try for goodwill letters first. Also, keep in mind, when you keep applying for credit, you appear desperate and as ABCD said in his response, NFCU is aware of this with their internal scoring. In another post, I think I recall your saying that one of your CCs is maxed out -- something like 400/500 if I recollect correctly, and that you couldn't pay it off anytime soon. Banks see this when they pull your CR. IMHO, if you are strapped where you cant pay off $400 in one month, the bank sees the same thing. 

Again, just garden for at least 12 months, and try to either pay off the collections or do GW letters, and decrease your utilization under 9%.

Continuously applying and getting denied for credit, I agree, is extremely frustrating. So I think taking a year off from being on this roller coaster will give you time to reflect on how to play the CC game.

GL to you.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.