cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Secured Card (Asking for increase)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal Secured Card (Asking for increase)

Good Morning,

I have a Navy Federal secure card that I've had for about 5-6mths. The card has not graduated. I bit the bullet and applied for a CashRewards since my secure card hadn't automatically increased. I was approved for the CashRewards with a high limit on Wednesday. My question is how long should I wait to manually request an increase on my secure CC to see if they will graduate it?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Navy Federal Secure (Asking for increase)

You can't manually request a graduation or increase to force it. Based on your other approval, it should be any time now.

Message 2 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good Morning,

I have a Navy Federal secure card that I've had for about 5-6mths. The card has not graduated. I bit the bullet and applied for a CashRewards since my secure card hadn't automatically increased. I was approved for the CashRewards with a high limit on Wednesday. My question is how long should I wait to manually request an increase on my secure CC to see if they will graduate it?

Just wait for graduation. If they already approved you for a big limit, they must be liking where you are. Just sit back and enjoy the rideSmiley Wink

Message 3 of 11
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your NFCU CashRewards approval. Hopefully your secured card will graduate soon.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 4 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good Morning,

NFCU secure cards can usually un-secure after 7 months. At that time it would convert to a CashRewards.

Since you already have a CashRewards, you might be able to PC or request a MoreRewards, GoRewards or a Platinum.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all. Since I don't really need the increase. I will sit back and let it graduate automatically and as advice swap for a moreRewards the card when it does upgrade

Message 6 of 11
WavysMommy
Regular Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Secured Card (Asking for increase)

@Anonymous wrote:

Good Morning,

As someone(or a few someones have stated), you can't manually request an increase. I also was approved for a high CL after they increased my NRewards limit.

I'm approaching my 9th month come the 4th, and it may be upgraded; it may not. There is no guarantee that after 6 months they upgrade to an unsecured card.

We just have to be patient. They trusted us with a high CL with our 2nd card, so just wait it out for the NRewards. 🙂

Message 7 of 11
USMC_Winger
Frequent Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Secured Card (Asking for increase)

@Anonymous wrote:

Good Morning,

As others have explained, the CLI request doesn't affect graduation of the secure nRewards card.

You are eligible to request a CLI on the secure nRewards card after 91 days after your nRewards card was approved AND at least 3 full, 25-day billing cycles have passed.  Lock your CRs first, then go online or use the Navy Fed app and request the CLI.

Have a little more patience.  You're almost there.  Graduation usually takes a minimum of 6 months (7 months if your first billing cycle was a short one or you don't have FICO scores until after 6 months).

FICOs:

Message 8 of 11
USMC_Winger
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you all. Since I don't really need the increase. I will sit back and let it graduate automatically and as advice swap for a moreRewards the card when it does upgrade

Since rewards points don't transfer between Navy Fed CCs, make sure you go online or use the Navy Fed app to redeem all your rewards points AFTER your secure nRewards card graduates to the cashRewards card.  The balance of points will convert to 1.5% cash back.  These points are only worth 1% while it's the nRewards card, so if you can wait until graduation, you'll get 50% more cash back.  Redeem the cash back, then request a PC to a More Rewards AMEX card.

FICOs:

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal Secure

Is asking for an increase on the Nrewards (secured) online a HP or SP?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.