Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal

My son recently applied for Navy Federal. He is 19 and in the Air Force. He's wants to start working on establishing credit. His application was denied. Advise that he contacts them directly. He's been banking with Navy Federal for awhile. So if not Navy Federal what card do you suggest? 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Navy Federal

Usually Navy is pretty easy to get an approval from.

Did they offer him a secure card?

" Advise that he contacts them directly."  I would follow up on that .. JMHO

Message 2 of 12
AllZero
Mega Contributor

+3

What card did he apply for?

The secured nRewards would be a great starter card.

Does he have any open installment loans, e.g. student, auto, mortgage, etc? If not, perhaps a Navy SSL would be a great product too.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

He has no open accounts. At least not you our knowledge. I know with joining the Airforce he has to have good credit. They check and I'm sure they would have said something. I believed he applied for the ahi rewards card(blue). 

Message 4 of 12
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

He has no open accounts. At least not you our knowledge. I know with joining the Airforce he has to have good credit. They check and I'm sure they would have said something. I believed he applied for the ahi rewards card(blue). 

Could be something as simple as ID verification .. We could only guess at this point.

I highly recommend to follow up with contacting them. Per their request.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous I agree with what has been said above.

I am sorry to hear that he was declined.

I would also suggest waiting for the denial letter for the specific reasons that he was declined. And while you are at it, you can ask your son to pull all three credit reports from annualcreditreport.com and review his reports for inaccuracies (its free once a week till next year).

Navy usually pulls Transunion for credit cards. Worst case scenario, he could apply for the secured card if all else fails. Navy has a great secured card (as does Discover). 

Also, I hope you are a member as well. Under normal circumstances, Navy is very generous with credit limits. 

Good luck, keep us posted. 

Message 7 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I'd call, or wait for the denial letter to arrive and see what it says, then go from there.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 12
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My son recently applied for Navy Federal. He is 19 and in the Air Force. He's wants to start working on establishing credit. His application was denied. Advise that he contacts them directly. He's been banking with Navy Federal for awhile. So if not Navy Federal what card do you suggest? 

You should have him pull his three reports from annualcreditreport.com  That is the official site and you can pull weekly for free through April something.  Everyone should pull their reports actually.  Knowledge is power.

And... that NAVY SSL is essential, easy and a no brainer.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 9 of 12
KangiCosmos
New Contributor

Navy Pulled Equifax for me.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous I agree with what has been said above.

I am sorry to hear that he was declined.

I would also suggest waiting for the denial letter for the specific reasons that he was declined. And while you are at it, you can ask your son to pull all three credit reports from annualcreditreport.com and review his reports for inaccuracies (its free once a week till next year).

Navy usually pulls Transunion for credit cards. Worst case scenario, he could apply for the secured card if all else fails. Navy has a great secured card (as does Discover). 

Also, I hope you are a member as well. Under normal circumstances, Navy is very generous with credit limits. 

Good luck, keep us posted. 

Starting Score: 502
Current Score: 686
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.