Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No CLI on Amex BCE for over a year

tag
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Re: No CLI on Amex BCE for over a year

If you havn't requested any CLI in the last 6 months, then something in your profile is not clicking with Amex. They should be sending you a letter that'll have your denial reason. Definitely let us know what it says. This way, we can figure out why you havn't been able to get a CLI. I would still reach out to Amex CSR (phone or chat) to verify about any CLIs and denials. Knowing the date, you can plan ahead as well.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confirmed, this is indeed a pattern.  I have had my BCE for coming up on 2 years now this April, and it sits there with its 1k limit on it. Even when I hadn't app'd for 6 months, my FICO was up over 100pts higher than when they approved me, I have 3%-7% util across the board, nothing.  Applied for the Hilton Honors card, instant  approval for 8k.  Waited 90 days, applied for an increase on the BCE - nope.  

Message 12 of 23
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Are we seeing here the AMEX version of "bucketed" cards?

Back in 2015, I was approved for the old AMEX Hilton Surpass card (now Ascend) with a $1K SL. Try as I might, I could never win a CLI! Meanwhile, I was approved for four other AMEX cards including the Platinum, BCP, SPG Luxury, and Hilton Aspire, all with higher SLs. Go figure! Eventually, I closed the Surpass (Ascend) card because I didn't need two Hilton cards, and to get rid of what seemed like a card that was "bucketed" at a low SL.

I've since received an auto-CLI on my BCP card but never had a CLI on any of my other AMEX cards. Out of curiosity, the other day I asked the AMEX website whether I could spend $35K on my Platinum card and that was approved. But I'm not sure that means I'll get a CLI on any of my other cards..!

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have thought for the longest time that either I was on a list or someone had flagged my account for something, but I have never been anything but on the up and up with them.  I think I might just have to go down the same path as you and eventually close them up.  I even upgraded from the BCE to the BCP (no prob!) but could I get a CLI at the same time, nope.   Now that I have my USBank Altitude which I vastly prefer anyway, I think it might be time to walk away from Amex entirely.

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve had my Amex BCE cars for 1 yr and 1 month and was just auto increased from 2k to 5k this month. I had the majority of my spend on this card about 1k spend every month and would pay most of it in full every month. I never applied for a cli before so I would assume they thought they you were desperate for credit which would have raised red flags.
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update 2/5:

I was approved of Amex HH Aspire Card earlier today with CL of $10k. Tried CLI button on BCE/BCP and still no love over $1000 CL!!

Honestly I don't need any more CL on that card but it just bothers me no knowing why... Curiosity kills the cat and I am going to call Amex tomorrow to figure it out. Any additional input is welcomed.

Message 16 of 23
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Tend to think 1K amex approvals are like a Chase 500 approval... but some people are able to move on up, while others its a slow and fruitless road....

Message 17 of 23
xaximus
Valued Contributor

I think your BCP may be in a "bucket". Regardless of if you upgraded to the BCP from the BCE, it may be stuck. I've noticed with 500/1K approvals with Amex, it is a hit or miss. Some profiles, it works out fine as the CLIs happen. On others, it doesn't. You may be better off closing the card and re-apping for it in a few months.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

you guys are not the only ones with this issue with AMEX CLI.  Held onto the same ED card for 2 years and not a single CLI offer, tried it back in March last year and got denied.  On the other hand, got approved for the BBP at 9k, SPG biz at 25K (i requested a reduction to 10K for fear of FR), and Delta gold at 10K.   Here's the best part as well, 2 weeks ago, AMEX sent me an email that i have a 35K limit on my platinum for Pay over time.  **bleep** is in wrong with their internal system.  It seems like the one card with the first history with AMEX is having issues whereas I keep getting increases on higher tier cards.

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

My SPG Business has a 12k limit. Which is greater than the preset spending limit I have on my "no preset spending limit" Platinum Business that I have the privilege of paying now 595 a year to have. I'm closing all my Amex except one come renewal time barring they make some ridiculous retention offer. Amex customer for 15 years.. I think they put that on the card just to twist the knife a little.
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.