Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now Apply for Target MasterCard Directly

tag
user979797
Established Contributor

Now Apply for Target MasterCard Directly

Thanks to user DaisyAdair for posting about their RedCard MasterCard approval. I went and checked the website and sure enough when you apply for a RedCard you can now be considered for or apply directly for the MasterCard version and possibly approved for it instantly. This card provides 5% off at Target instantly and 2% back when used at dining and gas stations and 1% back on every other swipe. The rewards can only be redeemed in the form of a Target Giftcard and at a minimum amount of 10.00. I couldn't find a post about this so wanted to make one to let everyone know.

The RedCard MasterCard has been called a "Unicorn" due to not being able to apply directly for it and not being able to do certain things to get it so the unicorn is dead and anyone can apply for it.

EDIT: If i am not logged into a target account and click on redcard it only has the redcard language but a picture of both cards. Hopefully more people can chime in on this so we can get more information.

>
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Now Apply for Target MasterCard Directly

Placed the same on @DaisyAdair approval thread. Online account and it gave me the 2 choices. YMMV.

Target1.JPG

Target2.JPG

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I would also wonder if this is an option for customers at the store through POS during check out 🤔 

There's also a pre-qualification link in the RedCard CC portal (not sure how accurate it is as far as the odds), but the application form and disclosures clearly state that the application will be considered for the RedCard MC first, then the standard one.

Message 3 of 12
HeyNurse90

Mine shows the same as what Firemedic posted, the credit vs debit. When I opened my RedCard I think it said if I wasn't approved for the MC I would be considered for the regular RedCard credit card (which is what I got).

Anyway, maybe it shows up differently sometimes? 🤷‍♀️ I enjoy shopping at Target so didn't really mind that it was Target only (I'm also in rebuild mode so happy with what I got 🙂)

Message 4 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Placed the same on @DaisyAdair approval thread. Online account and it gave me the 2 choices. YMMV.

Target1.JPG

Target2.JPG

Good Luck!

Very nice DPs.

So, in your specific scenario @FireMedic1, you were given the option to select either the RedCard or the RedCard MC? Or, was this based on the disclaimer that you'd be considered for either. 

Only reason I mentioned it is because the post above this one didn't provide the option for the member to select either one from the get-go, but the application disclaimer stated they'd be considered for both.

Message 5 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FinStarAh the fine print. Slapped myself.

Only for guests approved for a Target Mastercard. Restrictions apply. Learn more.

Message 6 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Question is. Is this a new page with choices on which card you want to apply for? I havent been in that area of the website. Was it ever there before? 2 choices? Or just a apply for the Red Card page. Get some DP's. FOTM possibly?

Message 7 of 12
Hex
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 

I want what are saying to be true but the way I'm reading it is that you get to choose between the debit card version or one of the two credit cards but you don't get to select which of the 2 credit cards you're are applying for. 

Message 8 of 12
CoolHandSean
Valued Member

This is exactly the case. The OP jumped the gun. You cannot choose the MasterCard option, which is why it has a dark red circle.

2023 Goal Cards:

Message 9 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@HexThe letters on top of the 2 cards are small on the cards. Top right on the credit version. Does it say "Charge"? the other is "Debit?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.