Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE HELP. AMERICAN EXPRESS APPLICATION

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PLEASE HELP. AMERICAN EXPRESS APPLICATION

@Anonymous wrote:

@GypSea_Surfing  I think it's worth a try to open a Credit One Bank Amex card. Then keep that card for at least one year. Then try the Amex prequalification tool. I realize this may sound like a bizarre strategy, but it just might work. I believe American Express knows who's using their co-branded cards.

Not a very sound strategy.

Message 21 of 32
MCM1
Regular Contributor

The opening of a savings account is actually one of the best avenues if you are borderline. I've seen it make a big difference in the outcome. Sadly you don't know as much as you believe. 
You don't have to put much in there, just to have the account and be in the ecosystem. The prequals do very little and are widely ineffective. The new actual pre approval is useful. 
too many people on here trying to give advice that is simply not accurate. 

Message 22 of 32
MCM1
Regular Contributor

The creditone card would not be of any help other than the credit history. The creditone card while it may have an Amex logo is simply the payment network that the card processes on. 

Message 23 of 32
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@MCM1 wrote:

The opening of a savings account is actually one of the best avenues if you are borderline. I've seen it make a big difference in the outcome. Sadly you don't know as much as you believe. 
You don't have to put much in there, just to have the account and be in the ecosystem. The prequals do very little and are widely ineffective. The new actual pre approval is useful. 
too many people on here trying to give advice that is simply not accurate. 

Over ~3,000 forum applicants have landed traditional AmEx cc products even on borderline or judgmental approvals as documented here and other sources. Knowledge comes with facts and experiences. Not one has cited opening a deposit account to nudge the odds of an approval. Plenty of individuals have tried the TDA option without success.

AmEx bases their overall UW and primary decision on creditworthiness. Not one denial has stated lack of deposit account relationship or suggested a TDA as a viable cross-selling option to boost any approval odds. 

Message 24 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GypSea_Surfing  No problem, happy to help. Please see the link below to American Express where they advertise the Credit One Bank Amex card.

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/network/credit-one/credit-cards/credit-one-bank-card.html

Message 25 of 32
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Amex Delta is what I recommend to anyone going after their first Amex card...  the "easiest" one to get IMO.

I had one in 2014-2016... $1k limit.  I closed it in early 2017 before I filed Ch 13.

In 2022 I was approved for the same card... only with a $10k limit and a new SUB.

Not burning Amex in the Ch 13 paid dividends in 2022.  Did I mention my next 1st class flight across the country is free?

FICO8 current as of : ----- EQ: --- TU: --- EX: ---
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 7 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $6500 Amex Delta Platinum $10,000 Care Credit $12,000
NFCU CashRewards $6000 Apple Card $2000 Best Buy $3500 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Total CL: $45,000 --- Total CC UTI: --% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 11-30-23
Message 26 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TRC_WA  That's awesome.

Message 27 of 32
mfinsmi1
Established Contributor

I cant get AMEX to prequalify me for anything Smiley Sad 

@TRC_WA wrote:

Amex Delta is what I recommend to anyone going after their first Amex card...  the "easiest" one to get IMO.

I had one in 2014-2016... $1k limit.  I closed it in early 2017 before I filed Ch 13.

In 2022 I was approved for the same card... only with a $10k limit and a new SUB.

Not burning Amex in the Ch 13 paid dividends in 2022.  Did I mention my next 1st class flight across the country is free?

Personal Cards (Over $100k):

Business Cards:

Rebuilding Starting Scores - December 2021

FICO SCORE 8/9 - Current 1/6/23

Stats: : 3/6; 8/12; 17/24 --- AAoA 3 YRS, 8 MO --- INQ: EX-6/TU-7/EQ-2
Message 28 of 32
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@mfinsmi1 wrote:

I cant get AMEX to prequalify me for anything Smiley Sad 

Unless you burned Amex in the past I see no reason why they wouldn't approve you for the Delta gold... your scores are better than mine.

FICO8 current as of : ----- EQ: --- TU: --- EX: ---
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 7 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $6500 Amex Delta Platinum $10,000 Care Credit $12,000
NFCU CashRewards $6000 Apple Card $2000 Best Buy $3500 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Total CL: $45,000 --- Total CC UTI: --% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 11-30-23
Message 29 of 32
SUMRFUN
Established Member

Yep... I was in your shoes, about 6 to 7 years ago.  Had cleaned my credit report up an was eager to dive in to the amex family.  I was at a 668 Fico 8 on experian, when I saw info on this same forum pointing to the "Amex delta gold", as a starting point.  I applied for it, after being turned down for the Amex gold card the previous weekend.  They gave me a shot on the delta gold at $2,000SL.  About a year after that I had worked my way to 4 Amex cards, an I have treated each account with care.  Haven't had to apply for any others with them.  I have a total of 5 cards now.

Just be patient.  Learn all you can from the everyone that's willing to teach here.  This forum has truly helped me in my journey to enjoy the benefits of good credit...good luck on your journey😎

As of 7/22: FICO EX-794 EQ-792 TU-798
Total Credit Limits $255K = Credit util 1% overall AAoA 5.2 years...All thanks to the forum!
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.