Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSECU Warning - HP Before App Submission

tag
audioman00
Regular Contributor

PSECU Warning - HP Before App Submission

Hi All,

Just a warning that PSECU pulls experian as soon as you enter your SSN, several pages before you actually submit your app. I went through the app to see what it entailed (how intrusive it was) before making a final decision about applying and received an HP alert on my EX. Called them and they would not remove the HP. Disappointed. Just a heads up to others considering applying. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PSECU Warning - HP Before App Submission

Message 2 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If you don't care about potential bridge-burning file an online complaint directly with the NCUA (don't bother with the CFPB in this case) and argue since you did not complete and submit any application for credit they had no permissible purpose to perform a hard pull.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 9
audioman00
Regular Contributor

Thanks for weighing in @coldfusion. I think this is good advice. I'm currently a candidate to join the board of another CU, so I think I'll sit it out and let someone else fight this fight.

It's strange, but I feel kind of violated. Not like home-invasion violated, but like someone-rummaging-through-my-car violated. It's taken a lot of willpower to garden and I'm sad my file doesn't reflect my lack of credit seeking anymore. Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@audioman00 wrote:

Thanks for weighing in @coldfusion. I think this is good advice. I'm currently a candidate to join the board of another CU, so I think I'll sit it out and let someone else fight this fight.

It's strange, but I feel kind of violated. Not like home-invasion violated, but like someone-rummaging-through-my-car violated. It's taken a lot of willpower to garden and I'm sad my file doesn't reflect my lack of credit seeking anymore. Smiley Sad

As an alternative you might consider researching the name and contact information of the chairperson of the board of directors and sending him or her a non-confrontational personal letter expressing exactly what you outlined above.

As you're probably more aware than I am the BoD generally has no real authority other than to help provide strategic vision but the members certainly do have organizational impact if they choose to exercise it.

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 9
audioman00
Regular Contributor

@coldfusion  funny you should mention that - I did exactly that. I positioned it as courtesy email letting him know about the issue and that it is atypical for an FI to do this. He asked for a few days to research the issue and get back to me. It's possible management is not even aware of this. The CUs I've dealt with have all been very pro-consumer, so hopefully they can make a change moving forward without a regulatory nudge. 

Message 6 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Great minds think alike.  Good luck.

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Message 7 of 9
audioman00
Regular Contributor

@coldfusion thank you!

Message 8 of 9
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I had similar experience with BB&T. I read online (the info was incorrect) that they would show your APR and SL before you hit submit, so I was going through the process and hit one too many "continue" and bam I was approved for a card. 🙈

it was a decent SL, so I just decided to keep it. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.