Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed asked for Tax Returns?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed asked for Tax Returns?

Not thrilled with my first experiance with a credit union.

I have over a 20 year credit history and 825+ credit score on all 3 reporting agencies.  I also have credit lines of 50K for many years. I have never been late and pay all my bills in full every month.

I opened an account with Penfed 2 months ago and made my first deposit and will fund the account a few hundred every month. 

I applied for a credit card because  of there gas rewards and was told I was approved, but they want the last two years of my tax returns.

Being a victim of identity theft years ago I don't feel comfortable uploading my personal tax returns online for a credit card. Not sure what to do at this point? 

Is ther another way to get around giving out my returns .  Is this the norm with PenFed

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PenFed asked for Tax Returns?

PenFed has been known to ask for proof of income.  Are you by chance self employed?  I've seen them request this for those who are on occasion.  If not, then you can ask them of check stubs are okay.  But nonetheless, if they want proof of income there really isn't any way of getting around this than submitting the documents that they're willing to accept.  Best of luck to you!

Message 2 of 7
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Have you tried checking if there's a local branch? I just found out we have one by accident when I drove by it the other day. Should have known since we're a big military city. You could probably bring them in at that point. You could also ask for a fax number of you're more comfortable with that.

Message 3 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, no other way to get around giving out tax returns, regardless of your 20+ year history or ~$50K tradelines.

If they're requesting POI, you can either fax it to them, or if you have any PenFed branches near you, then that's another option to provide the docs requested.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want a gas card, you could tell them nevermind and apply for the Ducks Unlimited card.
Message 5 of 7
ThriftySaver
Regular Contributor

How did they ask for tax return? Did they ask it immediately after gettng approved or a few days after and was it human or computer

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No way around it if you really want the card.  Provide or cancel app.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.