Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Amex approval

tag
biff-henderson
Contributor

Question about Amex approval

I've been wanting the HHSurpass since last year. I don't travel loads, but enough that I can make it worth the annual fee. Joined the Amex family with the BCP in Nov, and got a toy limit. Recently got a increase to $2K, and messages since offering me the Gold, Plat, etc. I decided I'd have a decent chance at a SP approval by this point, and didn't want to miss the elevated SUB.

Took a shot today and was immediatly approved. No metion of SL though :-/  mearly that card would darrive by the 12th. No message in email, no notification on app. Tried saving the approcal page as PDF to have a record, and it saved as the "Apply now and get a decisino in as little as ..." page. So far it seems as if it never happened.  Am I being impatient or is this normal? I swear with the other card I was told my limit on the approval page, and given the option to get my card number immediatly for use.

B.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
ceejay78
Contributor

Re: Question about Amex approval

@biff-henderson wrote:

I've been wanting the HHSurpass since last year. I don't travel loads, but enough that I can make it worth the annual fee. Joined the Amex family with the BCP in Nov, and got a toy limit. Recently got a increase to $2K, and messages since offering me the Gold, Plat, etc. I decided I'd have a decent chance at a SP approval by this point, and didn't want to miss the elevated SUB.

Took a shot today and was immediatly approved. No metion of SL though :-/  mearly that card would darrive by the 12th. No message in email, no notification on app. Tried saving the approcal page as PDF to have a record, and it saved as the "Apply now and get a decisino in as little as ..." page. So far it seems as if it never happened.  Am I being impatient or is this normal? I swear with the other card I was told my limit on the approval page, and given the option to get my card number immediatly for use.

B.

congrats on the approval! @biff-henderson  try checking the status here https://online.americanexpress.com/eaol/statusCheckAction.do or by calling them, sometimes they just need to verify info. similar thing happened on the approval of my 2nd card and they just needed to verify some info.

FICO 8: EX 764 TU 770 EQ 762
FICO 9: EX 781 TU 781 EQ 785
Message 2 of 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

They will only provide the card number after approval if they can verify your identity fully. There's a hiccup there you're not aware of. 

Message 3 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I have moved this to apps for more input
Message 4 of 13
ceejay78
Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

They will only provide the card number after approval if they can verify your identity fully. There's a hiccup there you're not aware of. 

1+ i received the email after i called to verify info.

Message 5 of 13
biff-henderson
Contributor

Thanks for the link! I showed as approved.

I guess I just have to wait it out.  I am curious though: if the SUB changes before I get hte card, am I grandfathered in, or SOL?

B.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was instantly given my card number online when approved for my first American Express card. But when approved for my second card, I was not given a card number online. I had to wait until the card arrived in the mail. Soft pull for my second card.

Message 7 of 13
ceejay78
Contributor

@biff-henderson wrote:

Thanks for the link! I showed as approved.

I guess I just have to wait it out.  I am curious though: if the SUB changes before I get hte card, am I grandfathered in, or SOL?

B.

@biff-henderson you're welcome! I am no expert on this and others might be able to give better data points, but I believe whatever sub shows on your approval is what you are going to get. I was just approved for the plat and the sub shows 100k bonus points and i verified this with customer service when I called.

Message 8 of 13
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Seems to be the norm these days on additional cards with Amex. I am currently waiting on my BCP to arrive, I have no idea of the SL, APR or card number, this was also the same for EDC I got about a year ago. So I am not concerned, just eager, as you probably are to see what the numbers are.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 9 of 13
Fletcher2
Regular Contributor

Congratz on the approval!

(I'm here doing my due diligence on the same card; I have one AmEx now (BCP), so looking to add a second...just had my one-year anniversary with them). Smiley Happy

One question, given we have the same 'AxEx portfolio!' lol

I would favor the new Hilton card the first year and the categories overlap (albeit one gives back cash and the other points), primarily gas and groceries (better with the Hilton).  So what do you do with the BCP? Do people often PC it to the no annual fee variant, so you keep it open and reporting? I'm not one to close CC accounts, so this is the plan so far, but starting to figure out the approach with AmEx...thought I would ask.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.