Did you mean: 

QuickSilver CLI DENIED - Too Little Use

tag
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Re: QuickSilver CLI DENIED - Too Little Use

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. To answer a few questions:

1) In regards to my usage when I received my increases (years ago) I was using close to 100% of the limit. I was able to get this card up from a few hundred dollars to $4k. I currently can easily run up a few thousand (of normal expenses) but simply have shifted my spend to NFCU because I like them more. 

2) Regarding the bounced payment they did tell me to wait in the denial letter from a year ago. This bounced payment didn't result in a late. I was simply forced to resubmit payment 2 days later. According to the denial letter this had no affect on my CLI rejection this time around. The only reason stated was too little usage. 

3) I do not personally believe someone needs to spend 100% of their limit in order to be worthy of a higher limit but cap one might.... I currently run through about $800 a month for the last 6 months now that it isn't my daily driver. Asking for a CLI when you only use half a limit or even 25% of a limit shouldn't be frowned upon because it all has to do with overall utilization. Many of us zero out each month but that isn't always possible. In those situations where you need to carry a balance the higher your credit limit the better off you will be. 

Based on some of your replies I'm thinking i'll need to turn this into my daily driver for a few months and try again towards end of summer.

You have answered your own questions, so good on you!

You admit that you blew off Cap 1 as your primary card, and thus had nowhere near your former usage. Accordingly, they shut off the CLI faucet.

And while you're certainly free to believe that someone doesn't need to use high and pay high, that's how Cap 1 rolls. If you think about it, high usage is necessary per their business model...and they've been pretty successful with it.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCrusader wrote:

You have answered your own questions, so good on you!

You admit that you blew off Cap 1 as your primary card, and thus had nowhere near your former usage. Accordingly, they shut off the CLI faucet.

And while you're certainly free to believe that someone doesn't need to use high and pay high, that's how Cap 1 rolls. If you think about it, high usage is necessary per their business model...and they've been pretty successful with it.

I agree. Guess they liked me more when I was running up (and reporting) high balances and paying lots of interest without missing payments. I've got nothing but love for Cap One. They've treated me solid over the years when other banks wouldn't. I guess I'm getting a bit greedy since other banks are starting to show me love and this is when cap one backs off. I'll just send more monthly spend their way and try again at a later date! I appreciate everyones input. 

Message 12 of 24
Snoopy916
Valued Member

I have a $1,500 limit on my card.  Had it for almost 2 years.  I literally run over $10,000/month through the card because it's my best cashback card currently.  I have only gotten 1 CLI ever, and for the past year I have gotten denied with the too little use every single time.  I don't think it's even possible to use it more.  I charge a few hundred to $1000+ almost every single day, and pay it off almost daily.  Coincedentally, my QuicksilverOne has double the limit and I almost never use it because the cb is lower.

Message 13 of 24
Jannelo
Frequent Contributor

@Snoopy916 wrote:

I have a $1,500 limit on my card.  Had it for almost 2 years.  I literally run over $10,000/month through the card because it's my best cashback card currently.  I have only gotten 1 CLI ever, and for the past year I have gotten denied with the too little use every single time.  I don't think it's even possible to use it more.  I charge a few hundred to $1000+ almost every single day, and pay it off almost daily.  Coincedentally, my QuicksilverOne has double the limit and I almost never use it because the cb is lower.

That's shocking. The "too little use" makes no sense.

Open Credit Cards:
Green Dot Primor Secured (5/18) - $450 CL (CLOSED 2/2020)
Capital One Platinum (8/18) PC to Quicksilver (9/19) - $3800 CL
Capital One QuicksilverOne (3/19) - $4800 CL
Merrick Bank DYL VISA - No AF (6/19) - $1400 CL
Discover it Cash Back (9/19) - $2800 CL
Amazon Prime Store Card (4/20) - $10,000 CL
NFCU cashRewards (4/20) - $4500 CL
BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards (5/20) - $3500 CL
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express® Card (3/21) - $9700 SL - at 9.65 %.
Experian FICO Score - 8/2018: 528

Experian FICO 8 Score - 9/2022 - 720
Equifax FICO 8 score 2/2022- 692
TransUnion FICO 8 score 10/2022 - 728
Experian FICO Mortgage Score - 725
Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Snoopy916 wrote:

Thanks for the data point. Wish I didn't read it lol. 

Message 15 of 24
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Snoopy916 wrote:

Thanks for the data point. Wish I didn't read it lol. 

LOL Right? 😂

I think what is most frustrating about Cap 1 is the fact that their service, payment and general business model are all top quality.

Their app is OUTSTANDING.

I make a payment in the afternoon and both my balance and available credit are updated just past midnight.

Their rewards are available the moment a transaction posts. 

The price we pay for enjoying the many benefits of what Cap 1 offers is enduring their frustrating CLI and product change/prequal policies, but is that REALLY so terrible?

I called them recently and asked them to set my QS CL to $5,000, as that easily accommodated my spending patterns and maximized rewards accordingly...and I liked that there was a solid hard cap. 

The Cap 1 rep said "Sounds perfectly reasonable. You got it." (verbatim)

The MyFico team, as a whole, loves high lines because they mask usage and keep FICO scores nice and high, so Cap 1 isn't ideal for that purpose. But on the margin, they are a terrific CC lender.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 16 of 24
Snoopy916
Valued Member

I agree. Love Cap One's app/interface.

I have their wal-mart Mastercard $300 limit, QS $1,500 limit and QS1 $3,000 limit.  I have only received limit increases once on both Quicksilvers. Wal-mart I received the day they took over, but have never gotten approved for an increase.  I have a zero balance on all 3, as well as all my regular, non-Cap 1 credit cards, except I have a $1000 balance ($8900 CL) because I'm getting a 0% 12 month offer on one of them. I do use the Wal-mart about $100-$150 a month, and the QS I use A TON.  I also have a car loan through them. It was a 72-month refinance last August for $28,000, and I 've actually paid it down to $2,100 in less than a year, but they still don't trust me, I guess.

Meanwhile, I have ridiculous limits on my Comenity cards that I will ever use.  $15k Wayfair, $8,000 WS, etc. Synchrony is weird too. Care Credit is $10,000 (used it to buy red bulls at rite-aid and that's it) but another their discount tire card (which I would actually use) won't budge past $800 so I had to pay half with cash last time I wanted to take advantage of their zero-interest offer. Guess my next serious GF is getting a boob job!

Message 17 of 24
Snoopy916
Valued Member

I just wanted to update this thread. Cap 1 makes no sense.  I had 2 car loans with them, one for $44k, one for $28k.  Paid them both off 3 years early this year.  Zero balance on everything on my credit report.  I just ran $22k last MONTH through my QS card with only a $1500 limit, and just tried again to get a CLI and denied for "Recent use of this account's existing credit line is too low"  What the heck else do they want??

Message 18 of 24
RSX
Valued Contributor

**** edit - read some earlier threads after posting

what about getting a 2% card and giving up on Cap1

if you spend that much monthly, might as well try with another card, that gives a slightly higher % as well - Citi DC for example

that is a good amount in one month! - but it seems they want that type of activity for over 3 months

try the same stategy (doesnt have to be 22k) for the next 2 months and try again in Aug/Sept - look at 3-5k if it is regular spend, not artificial

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 19 of 24
Snoopy916
Valued Member

Well ive actually been running over $10k a month through this card for over a year now so...

looking for a mortgage currently, so dont want any new accounts. Im just amazed how hard it is to get a CLI through them

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.