cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received an AMEX Mail Offer does it do a HP on the application?

tag
TheCreditMinder

Received an AMEX Mail Offer does it do a HP on the application?

Hi there,

I recently got an American Express Mail Offer for the Delta SkyMiles Gold Card with a 75k Sign On bonus after spending $2,000 Dollars. I have read multiple threads saying that American Express Customers only get a soft pull on their Credit Reports but in my case it's different since I did have an American Express Costco Card back in 2008 but I closed it in 2010. I do have a Business Checking Account with them but that is pretty much it. 

Does anyone know if I will get a HP after responding to this mail offer? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Received an AMEX Mail Offer does it do a HP on the application?

@TheCreditMinder wrote:

Hi there,

I recently got an American Express Mail Offer for the Delta SkyMiles Gold Card with a 75k Sign On bonus after spending $2,000 Dollars. I have read multiple threads saying that American Express Customers only get a soft pull on their Credit Reports but in my case it's different since I did have an American Express Costco Card back in 2008 but I closed it in 2010. I do have a Business Checking Account with them but that is pretty much it. 

Yes, you will get a HP 

Message 2 of 7
TheCreditMinder

Thank you! Do you also know what Credit Bureau they pull the Credit Report from? 

Message 3 of 7
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@TheCreditMinder wrote:

Thank you! Do you also know what Credit Bureau they pull the Credit Report from? 

EX, occasionally TU as well. 

Message 4 of 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

@TheCreditMinder wrote:

Hi there,

Yes, you will get a HP 

Correct.   You are not a current cardholder.

Also,  comments that current cardholders only get soft pulls when applying for new AMEX cards are wrong.    While that is the most likely outcome there are multiple members here including myself that have firsthand experience demonstrating that isn't always the case. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 7
TheCreditMinder

EX as in Experian or Equifax?

Message 6 of 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

EX == Experian.   Equifax == EQ. 

Here is a link that lists many of the abbreviations commonly used on the site and their meanings.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/td-p/88458

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.